Re: [News] Nokia Buys Trolltech (and Embraces GPLv3 via Qt)

____/ Mark Kent on Monday 28 January 2008 14:08 : \____

http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/articles/prnewswire/UKM00728012008-1.htm

>>> from the same article:
>>
>> It sounds like bad news to Apple, among many others. Suprising however is
>> the fact that Nokia already has Maemo. I'm 90% sure it's GTK-based, but I
>> haven't check. So now they get both? Maybe they can further bridge the gap?
>>

> I'm not sure it's bad news.  Nokia have deep pockets, and have been
> doing well in the open-platforms arena.  I think we'll see a much longer
> round of floss acquisitions for the time being:
>
> mobicents => red hat
> jboss => red hat
> cups => apple
> mysql => sun
> trolltech => nokia
> suse => novell (went very badly wrong)
> caldera <= sco (became reverse takeover, major failure)
>
> ... it's not over yet, I'm sure.

I’ve just heard from someone who funds KDE. It seems to confirm some fears, but
KDE can fork.

Google: organising the world's information.  Government: reorgnaising
                     the world's information (censorship) in its favour
 18:05:02 up 4 days,  3:59,  3 users,  load average: 0.37, 1.02, 1.31