Re: [News] Nokia Buys Trolltech (and Embraces GPLv3 via Qt)

____/ Matt on Monday 28 January 2008 11:08 : \____

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> Nokia to Acquire Trolltech to Accelerate Software Strategy
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Nokia will offer NOK 16 per share in cash. The board of directors of
>> | Trolltech has unanimously recommended that its shareholders accept Nokia's
>> | Offer.
>> `----
>>
>> http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/articles/prnewswire/UKM00728012008-1.htm
>
> from the same article:
>>  The acquisition of Trolltech will enable Nokia to accelerate its
>>  cross-platform software strategy for mobile devices and desktop
>>  applications, and develop its Internet services business. With Trolltech,
>>  Nokia and third party developers will be able to develop applications that
>>  work in the Internet, across Nokia's device portfolio and on PCs. Nokia's
>>  software strategy for devices is based on cross-platform development
>>  environments, layers of software that run across operating systems,
>>  enabling the development of applications across the Nokia device range.
>>  Examples of current cross-platform layers are Web runtime, Flash, Java and
>>  Open C.

It sounds like bad news to Apple, among many others. Suprising however is the
fact that Nokia already has Maemo. I'm 90% sure it's GTK-based, but I haven't
check. So now they get both? Maybe they can further bridge the gap?

Roy S. Schestowitz      | "Computers are useless. They only solve problems"