Re: [News] [Rival] The Burton Group/Microsoft Mouthpiece Turns Attention to VMWare

____/ [H]omer on Sunday 27 January 2008 20:35 : \____

>> Virtualization Wars, what can VMware learn from the past?
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | You must realize that Novell's wildly successful NetWare product of
>> | the late 1980's and early 1990s was filling a void in the Microsoft
>> | eco-system...
>
> Translation: Netware was successful until Microsoft sabotaged it, just
                                                      ^^^^^^^^^

That's a strong word. Microsoft has more playful terminology for this.

"Tilt into a death spiral..."   --Brad Silverberg

"Make them do the delicate dance..." (makes me think of cowboys in the Wild
West pointing pistols at people's feet)         --Joachim Kempin

Conversely:

"I'll F*KING BURY that p*ssy..."                --Steve Ballmer

Well, that's stronger than "sabotage", but there you go...

http://dcsblog.burtongroup.com/data_center_strategies/2008/01/virtualizatio-1.html

>> FUD piece.
>
> That much is transparently obvious. VMware doesn't have any mountain to
> climb, it's already on /top/ of that mountain!

Yes, about 90% market share, IIRC (depends on definitions). The stock have been
soaring since the IPO.

> Is Richard Jones on drugs? He's presenting this as though Microsoft has
> already won.

Yes. FUD.

> The way he /should/ have phrased it, is that Microsoft will undoubtedly
> use whatever illicit measures they deem necessary to /topple/ VMware
> from that mountain, in an attempt to monopolise the virtualisation
> market, just like they attempt to do with everything else. That's the
> gangsters way, after all.

Yes. That's why I keep saying that there will be an antitrust case involving
virtualisation. VMWare already talks about it, so Microsoft ought to watch out
and keep its Capones in the garage.

> But then by phrasing it like that, he'd be doing the unthinkable ...
> speaking the truth about Microsoft, rather than spreading FUD to
> "evangelise" for them.

Some people will endorse crime or criminals as long as it pays their bills.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | "Computers are useless. They only solve problems"