[News] "Open Source" Spreads to Other Areas Including Housing

  • Subject: [News] "Open Source" Spreads to Other Areas Including Housing
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2008 12:37:50 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Open-source housing for those in need

,----[ Quote ]
| The Open Architecture Network is an open-source, social-networking community
| charged with helping to shelter people grappling with poverty and natural
| disasters. It uses Web 2.0 technologies to enable architects anywhere to
| upload and share their designs online under a Creative Commons license.
`----

http://www.news.com/2300-1025_3-6227524-1.html

'Tofu' license pits open source against meat

,----[ Quote ]
| Joining the open source and commercial melee is a document that pretty much
| rules out using a new JavaScript tool by anyone working in - or associated
| with - the pharmaceutical, farming and food, and some manufacturing
| industries. Oh, and certain universities are out, too.
`----

http://www.regdeveloper.co.uk/2008/01/26/exttld_license/

Related:

Richard Stallman Explains Free Hardware

,----[ Quote ]
| We need free software to interface with the hardware, and to develop it, we
| need access to the hardware specs. I have often called on companies
| to «publish the specs» because that's the way I envisioned free software
| developers would be able to write free drivers. I do not approve of
| nondisclosure agreements for generally useful technical information. However,
| if signing one enables you to write a free driver, that may justify the evil.
`----

http://understandinglimited.com/2008/01/23/rms-on-free-hardware/

The Future of Hardware is Open Source

,----[ Quote ]
| Open Hardware is the future of technology, and all we need to kick off this
| next great revolution in technology is to have the right tools in the right
| place at the right time.  After that, the sky’s the limit!
`----

http://www.raiden.net/?cat=2&aid=315

Perens set to tackle open-source hardware

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://news.com.com/2061-10795_3-6156093.html?part=rss&tag=2547-1_3-0-20&subj=news
http://tinyurl.com/2noydh