[News] More OOXML Manipulations: Ignoring Italy's Comments

  • Subject: [News] More OOXML Manipulations: Ignoring Italy's Comments
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2008 08:07:27 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
OOXML v 2.0: things only get worse

,----[ Quote ]
| The comment has been grouped with similar -- so to say -- comments on the
| lack of conformance testing, or of test suites (which is something different
| from a reference implementation where I can see the actual source code of an
| implementation and even sometimes cut snippets to real life application).
| This is already something quite annoying. But nothing compared with the
| answer: "Although no reference implementation or interoperability test suite
| is available at this time, a growing number of implementations of ECMA-376
| are becoming available [...] If the requirement for an interoperability test
| suite or reference implementation is established and shared by National
| Bodies, SC 34 might initiate appropriate activities as suggested by this
| comment". What the heck is this supposed to mean? A test suite is not a
| reference implementation. A shipping implementation is not a test suite, it
| is how the implementor thinks the standard should be implemented. As we have
| seen, not even the main sponsor of the standard implements it in a truly
| compliant way. There is no way to make sure that an implementation is truly
| compliant with the standard, because the conformity test provided by the
| standard is simply too slack. This is an elegant way to say "thanks, but nay,
| this is not anything we can commit to right now, maybe after the standard is
| approved". So Italian comment has been altogether disregarded, we duly take
| note of it.
`----

http://www.piana.eu/?q=en/disposition_comments

Here is an analogy that describes such frauds (watching the watchers or
controlling them):

What every engineer knows

,----[ Quote ]
| Of course, from an quality control perspective, this is seriously flawed. The
| checks and balances between those who build, those who test and those who
| sell have been eliminated. Although it would not be unusual for some MegaCorp
| inspectors to be involved in the inspection process, the late arrival of so
| many unqualified, newly-minted inspectors, and the shift of balance to
| MegaCorp's hand-picked inspectors, calls into question the independence and
| technical sufficiency of the entire inspection process.
`----

http://www.robweir.com/blog/2008/01/what-every-engineer-knows.html

Related:

Evidence of Microsoft Influencing OOXML Votes in Nordic States

,----[ Quote ]
| "This is how a standard is bought," Bosson wrote later. "I left the meeting
| in protest - pissed off."
`----

http://www.betanews.com/article/Evidence_of_Microsoft_Influencing_OOXML_Votes_in_Nordic_States/1188335569

http://www.dn.se/DNet/jsp/polopoly.jsp?d=147&a=686119

Microsoft Memo to Partners in Sweden Surfaces: Vote Yes for OOXML - Updated

,----[ Quote ]