[News] Media Mafia and Apple Accused of Massaging Numbers

  • Subject: [News] Media Mafia and Apple Accused of Massaging Numbers
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2008 08:02:35 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Why did colleges stay mum on MPAA stats?

,----[ Quote ]
| For two years, the film industry has relied on an erroneous figure to
| persuade the public that college students are thieves. The MPAA acknowledged
| Tuesday that a survey it released in 2005 overstated the damage caused by
| piracy at the nation's universities. The MPAA now says that instead of 44
| percent, students account for 15 percent of domestic losses, or about $195
| million.
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9858416-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Apple's iPhone numbers do not add up

,----[ Quote ]
| Millions being unlocked - or gathering dust at Carphone Warehouse
|
| [...]
|
| Which means there are either 1.3m iPhones being used as bookends, or an awful
| lot of people have gone to the trouble of unlocking the devices to run them
| on different networks.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/01/25/iphone_numbers_confusion/

Microsoft does this endlessly by the way. Just look at Zune, XBox, Office and
Vista channel-stuffing. They lie without shame.

Related:

MPAA Admits Mistake on Downloading Study

,----[ Quote ]
| But now the MPAA, which represents the U.S. motion picture industry, has told
| education groups a "human error" in that survey caused it to get the number
| wrong. It now blames college students for about 15 percent of revenue loss.
`----

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5j33CBI8sUdc5ni7RlxSj5SIEc2mwD8UB6S0O2

Business Model Gone Bad: The Music and Movie Edition

,----[ Quote ]
| How Realistic is this new Business Model?
|
| How realistic is this? I think it is very realistic.
`----

http://www.5thwind.com/?p=58

Hollywood Goes Too Far to Protect Content

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://seekingalpha.com/article/58905-hollywood-goes-too-far-to-protect-content?source=yahoo