Re: [News] Asay on [H]omer's Piece Covering Yahoo's FOSS War, Apple's FOSS War

____/ [H]omer on Friday 25 January 2008 11:53 : \____

> Posted & Blogged.

>> Yahoo! censoring open source to buddy up to Microsoft? Not likely
>
> If, as Matt suggests, this censorship was just a "mistake", then it's
> one Yahoo! has made repeatedly.
>
> As to the assertion that, because Yahoo! uses Open Source software, that
> somehow makes them immune to acting against the better interests of
> GNU/Linux ... well how about Novell, Xandros, TurboLinux and Linspire?
>
> Is Yahoo!'s anti-Linux behaviour a matter of corporate policy, or merely
> the act of a few Microsoft fanboys working as moderators on their
> Answers service?
>
> I don't know; only Yahoo! can answer that question.
>
> It doesn't alter the results for those who are censored though, does it?

Yes, other incidents were reported here in COLA (at least two independent
ones). Microsoft is apparently doing the same thing with search results (see
the latest from the Microsoft Blog), even over at Google. Search engine
control is information and media control, so it's important to keep control
decentralised. I hope Wikia matures...

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    GPL'd Reversi: http://othellomaster.com
 14:20:02 up 1 day, 14 min,  3 users,  load average: 0.37, 0.89, 1.63