[News] Free Sofwtare Ripe and Set for Adoption in Education

  • Subject: [News] Free Sofwtare Ripe and Set for Adoption in Education
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 16:47:35 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Open Source Poised for Surge in Education

,----[ Quote ]
| Open source software will nearly double in the education space over the next
| four years. From its present level of $286.2 million, the market--including
| software, services, and maintenance--will reach $489.9 million by 2012,
| according to a report released today by market analyst Datamonitor, which
| proclaimed that "open source software has the ability to change the face of
| the education Industry."
|
| This growth includes both higher education and K-12 education and includes
| financial investments only; it does not measure open source adoptions that do
| not include some form of commercial transaction, whether that be in the form
| of support, maintenance contracts, or other financial commitments.
`----

http://campustechnology.com/articles/57710/

Related:

Debian Edu / Skolelinux wins the Scandinavian Free Software Award

,----[ Quote ]
| The Free Software Foundation Europe announced that Debian-Edu / Skolelinux,
| an international project, is the winner of the first Free Software
| Scandinavian Award, during the Free Software Conference Scandinavia 2007, in
| Goteborg, Sweden, December 7th, 2007.
`----

http://times.debian.net/1206

Skolelinux 3.0:Debian Based Linux Distribution!

,----[ Quote ]
| Skolelinux is internationally available and it is currently being translated
| into many languages, including German, French, Norwegian, Polish, Greek and
| Spanish.
`----

http://tuxenclave.wordpress.com/2007/07/23/skolelinux-30debian-based-linux-distribution/

Silverstripe, Google team up for high school open source competition

,----[ Quote ]
| Kiwi high school students are among over 1000 southern hemisphere
| pre-tertiary youngsters demonstrating their IT prowess this summer in a new
| competition being run by Google.
|
| The Google Highly Open Participation Contest (GHOP) is a pilot programme
| developed on the heels of Google's Summer of Code and is specifically
| designed to accommodate programmers and IT enthusiasts south of the equator.
`----

http://m-net.net.nz/2135/latest-news/latest-news/silverstripe-google-team-up-for-high-school-open-source-competi.php

Linux Education in America: Inspiration from Russia?

,----[ Quote ]
| The reason that the Russian announcement is funny boils down to the
| perception over the years that Russia equates to totalitarianism, whilst here
| in America we're all about Freedom and innovation. Yet our educational
| system -- the very underpinnings of how we're growing out future
| technological talent, is based upon the inversion of what one would expect
| given the respective reputations of both countries.

Russian Linux (ALTLinux) to be installed in every school in Russia

,----[ Quote ]
| Russian OS is to be installed on every school computer in Russia by 2009.
| Furthermore, every pupil will get the opportunity to operate the applied
| software produced in Russia, Leonid Reiman, acting Minister of Communication
| stated at a press conference. According to Mr. Reiman, that might
| significantly reduce Russian dependence on foreign software.
`----

http://eng.cnews.ru/news/top/indexEn.shtml?2007%2F09%2F14%2F266177

Stretching the Education Dollar With Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| The fact that open source solutions offer a wider range of choices
| and options than their proprietary counterparts make them truly
| useful alternatives to closed solutions, Henson says, especially
| for administrative tasks. "[W]ith open source solutions,
| organizations can freely customize the software to their
| specific requirements. This is particularly important when
| organizations wish to integrate with their existing software
| -- such as student and employee management systems. Developing
| such APIs is often extremely costly and time-consuming to
| facilitate with proprietary software vendors."

Kamloops school district gets an education in free software

,----[ Quote ]
| The Kamloops/Thompson School District in British Columbia, Canada, is a
| free software success story. Gregg Ferrie, manager of information
| technology for the district, believes its infrastructure may be "the
| largest Linux on-the-desktop implementation in Western Canada" in
| public education.

Cavazos Presentation on Open Source

,----[ Quote ]
| Training teachers and students to use a piece of software makes
| that software more valuable. Vendors know this. Business sense,
| not altruism, is what drives deep discounts on software for
| education. I once spoke to a vendor of an online grade book
| who, upon learning that I train teachers, was very interested
| in my using it in my classes.
`----

http://www.technewsworld.com/story/57760.html

More Than Open Source: A Second Look at Sakai

,----[ Quote ]
| Because it often gets the most press for being "open source" software
| you may not know that Sakai has unique features--many not found in
| other course management systems--that have attracted schools all over
| the world, from small liberal arts colleges to large Ivy League
| institutions to online universities--campuses with and without
| enormous IT resources. And one or more of these unique features
| may solve a particular problem on your campus.
`----

http://campustechnology.com/articles/45387/

UK Parliament considering FOSS in Schools, Universities

,----[ Quote ]
| UK Member of Parliament, John Pugh, has proposed an Early Day Motion on
| FLOSS in schools. One goal is to modernize the purchasing process to
| stop hindering FOSS choices. To-date 19 MPs have already signed it.
|                                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| UK-based people can write to their MP and ask them to sign this motion.
|                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| Writing will help raise FLOSS higher on the agenda and contribute to
| promotion in general.
`----

http://theyworkforyou.com/

OSC joins criticism of UK education's attitude to open source

,----[ Quote ]
| Open Source Consortium president, Mark Taylor, has been in contact to
| voice its opinion on the controversy surrounding Becta's purchasing
| frameworks and the adoption of open source adoption in UK schools.
|
| In short, it doesn't make happy reading for Becta. "The essence of
| our concern is that they're saying one thing and actually pursuing
| policies that are exclusive," he said. ?Becta?s own research shows there
| are major benefits [with open source], however the reality of the
| framework is that it excludes both products and services."
`----

http://www.businessreviewonline.com/os/archives/2006/11/osc_joins_criti.html

UK MPs question government barriers to open source in schools

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.cbronline.com/article_news.asp?guid=18464D7D-7AAB-4F0D-A09A-18D2E9ED4F5F