Re: Federal Employment Office switches to Linux

____/ jim on Wednesday 23 January 2008 04:29 : \____

>> ____/ Peter K�ann on Tuesday 22 January 2008 22:29 : \____

>>> And this little tidbit:
>>>
>>> /quote
>>> On the one hand, implementing Linux carried no licencing costs, on the
>>> other
>>> hand migrating the clients enabled standardised automation and
>>> maintenance
>>> procedures, since the BA servers also run Linux. Another plus are the
>>> flexible configuration possibilities with Linux.
>>> /unquote
>>>
>>> Now Hadron Quark will bully his way in again, screaming that we aren't
>>> talking servers.
>>> No, we aren't. This time. They use linux servers. *And* they use linux
>>> desktops. 13.000 of them
>>>
>>> Certainly no "company" Hadron Quark has ever seen would implement
>>> something
>>> like that. Not in germany, not nowhere else. Certainly not Munich or
>>> Schw�sch Hall. Or the german police. Or the german "Bundestag". Or the
>>> german armed forces. It is just a hoax, and we should all prepare the
>>> tinfoil
>>>
>>> If that lying cretin could just see how ridiculous his claims are, and
>>> how
>>> they contradict everything he is astroturfing for (MS, naturally)
>>
>> I saw this earlier and it's good news indeed. Don't let the trolls use the
>> Big
>> Lie and take this reality away because no single company is there to
>> /boast/
>> the migration and push it to the press (it's OpenSUSE 10.1 as I understand
>> it,
>> not SLED).
>
> Is OPENSuse (possibly poisoned) under the same Microsoft licensing agreement
> that Microsoft reached with Novell concerning SUSE?

There is a more accurate assessment of this in Groklaw (search for "pledge to
opensuse developers"), but the impression that I get is that Microsoft puts of
them sheep in the same pen. OpenSUSE is merely helping Novell build SLES and
SLED, which are just Microsoft cash cows.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Y |-(1^2)|^(1/2)+1 K