[News] Microsoft Tries Hard to Battle GNU/Linux Adoption, Using Money

  • Subject: [News] Microsoft Tries Hard to Battle GNU/Linux Adoption, Using Money
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2008 01:35:13 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Microsoft Pledges Cash for IT in Developing World

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft faces heated competition from companies supporting the open-source
| OS Linux and associated software in developing countries.

Microsoft trained 200,000 teachers in India

,----[ Quote ]
| The moves by Microsoft to offer free or subsidized software in India have
| however come in for criticism from the Free Software Foundation, which
| compared Microsoft's philanthropy to that of a cigarette manufacturer handing
| out free samples of cigarettes to students.

Governments Must Reject Gates' $3 Bid to Addict Next Billion PC Users

,----[ Quote ]
| "Microsoft's strategy of getting developing nations hooked on its
| software was clearly outlined by Bill Gates almost a decade ago," said
| Con Zymaris, CEO of long-standing open source firm Cybersource.
| Specifically, Bill Gates, citing China as an example, said:
|   "Although about 3 million computers get sold every year in China, but
|   people don't pay for the software," he said. "Someday they will, though.
|   As long as they are going to steal it, we want them to steal ours.
|   They'll get sort of addicted, and then we'll somehow figure out how to
|   collect sometime in the next decade."[1]

Microsoft Anti-piracy Raids in Trivandrum, Kerala - Time to Switch to Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| This is the second of such series of raids that Microsoft has done in Kerala.
| Sooner or later they are going to target the home user also. So if you are
| using pirated Microsoft software then beware. You only options are
| a) To shell out at least Rs. 15,000 for your original Microsoft Windows and
|    Microsoft Office licenses or
| b) To switch to the free (as in free = zero) and fully licensed world of GNU
|    Linux

Migrating to Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Tamil Nadu’s schools were running Microsoft Windows on a horde of aging
| machines—1,880 servers and around 30,000 desktops. The OS was in need for a
| refresh; however, moving to Windows Vista looked like an expensive option
| largely on account of the increased hardware requirement. ELCOT decided to
| move its own systems from Windows to SUSE Linux Enterprise Server and SUSE
| Linux Enterprise Desktop.

Is Microsoft really scared of Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Now having seen this, I was left with a smile on my face because obviously
| the top Microsoft Execs are spending sleepless nights thinking about the
| inroads that Linux has made especially in the server arena.

ELCOT's success story of Suse linux migration

,----[ Quote ]