[News] Sun Might Try to Outlinux Linux with GPL-licensed Solaris

  • Subject: [News] Sun Might Try to Outlinux Linux with GPL-licensed Solaris
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 15:29:29 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
GNU/Solaris - When the fun begins...

,----[ Quote ]
| Sun Microsystems has purchased MySQL and released Java under the GPL. Chief
| executive Jonathan Schwartz has also speculated that there could be a future
| release of Solaris under the GPL, but what are the implications of such a
| move.
`----

http://www.itpro.co.uk/servers/features/158208/gnusolaris-when-the-fun-begins.html

"We should dedicate a cross-group team to come up with ways to leverage Windows
technically more."

                --Jim Allchin, Microsoft

Related:

MySQL, Solaris share performance tuning feature

,----[ Quote ]
| MySQL and Solaris are both using an advanced tracing tool to smoke out
| performance problems, and Linux doesn't have anything like it.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2008/011608-tracing.html

Morton: no merging of OpenSolaris with Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Don’t expect to see key features of OpenSolaris showing up in the Linux
| kernel, said a top  Linux maintainer.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=1295

"Save a Penguin, Unplug a Linux Server" May Win Most-Flamable E-Mail Award

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://jetteroheller.wordpress.com/2007/05/03/save-a-penguin-unplug-a-linux-server-may-win-most-flamable-e-mail-award/