[News] Big Media Resorts to Propaganda, Tries to Kill Sharing Through Legislation

  • Subject: [News] Big Media Resorts to Propaganda, Tries to Kill Sharing Through Legislation
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 15:27:28 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
I wouldn't Steal

,----[ Quote ]
| Whenever you rent a movie, the multinational media industry forces you to
| watch their propaganda. They claim that [downloading movies is the same as
| snatching bags, stealing cars or shoplifting]. That’s simply not true –
| making a copy is fundamentally different from stealing.
|
| The media industry has failed to offer viable legal alternatives and they
| will fail to convince consumers that sharing equals stealing.
`----

http://www.iwouldntsteal.net/

The Committee on Culture and Education of the European Parliament wants to
extend the repressive measures of the Olivennes mission at a European level.

,----[ Quote ]
| Concerning the extension of Olivennes measures to other state members :
| unsubscribing and filtering.
`----

http://www.odebi.org/new2/?p=464

Reach a Web sites with copyrighted infringement -- lose Internet connection
(air supply). It's like a police state.

Related:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=5jkZFIwmc-8

Lessig: Required Reading: the next 10 years

,----[ Quote ]
| Yet governments continue to push ahead with this idiot idea -- both Britain
| and Japan for example are considering extending existing terms. Why?
|
| The answer is a kind of corruption of the political process. Or better,
| a "corruption" of the political process. I don't mean corruption in the
| simple sense of bribery. I mean "corruption" in the sense that the
| system is so queered by the influence of money that it can't even get
| an issue as simple and clear as term extension right.
`----

http://www.lessig.org/blog/archives/003800.shtml#003800

RIAA, MPAA urge pro-copyright vows from presidential candidates

,----[ Quote ]
| One question, for instance, asks: "How would you promote the progress of
| science and creativity, as enumerated in the U.S. Constitution, by upholding
| and strengthening copyright law and preventing its diminishment?"
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9821141-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Troubling "Digital Theft Prevention" Requirements Remain in Higher Education
Bill

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2008/01/digital-theft-prevention-requirements-remain-higher-education-bill