[News] Funambol's CEO on the Linux Future of Telephones, the Choice of GPLv3

  • Subject: [News] Funambol's CEO on the Linux Future of Telephones, the Choice of GPLv3
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 08:57:21 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Open Enterprise Interview: Fabrizio Capobianco

,----[ Quote ]
| We were very happy to see that the AGPLv3 licence, which was ratified late
| last year, addresses this issue. We adopted it for our software the day it
| became available. It is the same as GPLv3 except that it adds an almost
| identical clause as described above. We are in the process of submitting
| AGPLv3 for OSI approval to have it made an industry accepted open source
| compatible licence and we expect this will happen in 2008.
|
| We definitely see Software as a Service (SaaS) increasing over time as it
| provides very compelling benefits to enterprises. Regarding its impact on
| open source, this is exactly why we advocate the use of AGPLv3, it will allow
| open source to thrive in a SaaS environment.
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/toolbox/open-source/blogs/index.cfm?entryid=396&blogid=14

Related:

Funambol CEO Fabrizio Capobianco: Linux Is Mobile's Future

,----[ Quote ]
| LinuxInsider met with Capobianco to discuss his view on the role of open
| source in creating Mobile 2.0 as a voice and data carrier parallel to the
| Internet. The meeting occurred in the wake of Google's announcement earlier
| this month that it was negotiating with wireless carriers, handset makers,
| software developers and hardware providers to use an open source mobile
| platform, Android.
`----

http://www.technewsworld.com/story/60340.html

Linux Sees 'Astronomic' Growth in Mobile Devices

,----[ Quote ]
| "We were very aware that the growth in mobile for Linux was huge, but we
| didn't know it was so astronomic," Amanda McPherson, marketing director for
| the Linux Foundation, told LinuxInsider. "These are very encouraging
| numbers." Why Linux has drawn significant support from the community of
| handset manufacturers can be explained on several fronts, McPherson said.

Google's mobile move: awe-inspiring and terrifying

,----[ Quote ]
| It is also another awe-inspiring -- or terrifying, depending on one's
| perspective -- display of the engineering and business resources Google can
| unleash and of the power it has to influence, disrupt and rearrange markets.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/infoworld/20071106/tc_infoworld/93133

Google spending hundreds of millions on mobile

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://investing.reuters.co.uk/news/articleinvesting.aspx?type=media&storyID=nN02242073