[News] Open Source Buzzword Still Abused

"Piggybacking" and the open-source trademark issue

,----[ Quote ]
| Rosetta Stone's trademark lawsuit against a competitor brought to mind the
| simmering issue of trademark violations in open source. One of the
| opportunities and challenges in open source is that presumably anyone can be
| an expert in Project X, Y, or Z. Because of this dispersed expertise, the
| opportunity to run afoul of trademark violations is rife.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-9986674-16.html

Recent:

Microsoft's non-open source attempt at open source

,----[ Quote ]
| Yet as Sandcastle demonstrates, Microsoft still has a long ways to go before
| it demonstrates that it understands and is willing to stand behind the
| obligations of open source. The Sandcastle project went live on January 8.
| Several months later, it still isn't providing source code, a key tenet of
| the CodePlex hosting requirements
|
| [...]
|
| Microsoft built CodePlex. It can do with it what it wants. But what it can't
| do is borrow the term "open source" for marketing purposes and then fail to
| live up to the Open Source Definition. I thought the company understood that.
| Sandcastle makes me wonder....
|
| So, Microsoft, your options are clear: 1) Request the site owner to provide
| source code or 2) Properly label CodePlex as a code repository, but not
| necessarily as an open-source code repository.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-9961303-16.html

Microsoft’s deceptive advertising, again.

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://dthomasdigital.wordpress.com/2008/05/28/microsofts-deceptive-advertising-again/