Re: [News] MSBBC Steers Away from Microsoft for Cost and Cross-platform

bbgruff <bbgruff@xxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:
> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> BBC Dumps Microsoft-Backed Skinkers Apps, Switches To Adobe
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | The BBC is moving away from desktop apps made by Microsoft-backed Skinkers
>> | and instead bringing production in-house, switching to Adobe?s (NSDQ:
>> | ADBE) Flash-based cross-platform Flex and AIR frameworks. John O?Donovan,
>> | BBC future media and technology?s chief architect for journalism,
>> | explained that its desktop alert apps like Mini Motty and news ticker have
>> | ?hundreds of thousands? of users but ?only work on Windows, are built out
>> | of a variety of proprietary tools?, ?are difficult to manage and expensive
>> | to maintain?.
>
> Try here:-
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/bbcinternet/2008/07/free_range_widgets.html
>
> Well worth reading, but what struck me was the postings at the end.
> First post was a complaint (of course:-)) from a Linux user....
>
> ... to be fair, having been "put straight", he was (imo) very graceful about
> being corrected.  All-in-all, a very tolerable outcome, I thought.....
> ... and the whole thing very representative of the continuing Linux
> awareness/acceptance, of course.

Mr Highfield lost his job over this issue, and rightly so, to my mind.
In this day and age, there is absolutely no excuse for excluding the
tax & licence-fee paying public from their services.  I met a Dirac guy
a few years back at a Linux expo at Olympia, and it was clear that the
BBC have some very good foss people, unfortunately, they, like a lot of
companies, thought it would be better to recruit some people who span a
good tale rather than trust their experienced experts as to the right
way forward.

It's a shame that engineers need to spin in order to get jobs, now.

--
| mark at ellandroad dot demon dot co dot uk                           |
| Open platforms prevent vendor lock-in.  Own your Own services!       |