Re: [News] Enterprises Look for Someone to Blame, Misundertand Linux

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, JEDIDIAH
<jedi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Tue, 1 Jul 2008 18:12:51 -0500
<slrng6lefj.v04.jedi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> On 2008-07-01, Tim Smith <reply_in_group@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> In article <o2fqj5-kji.ln1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
>>  The Ghost In The Machine <ewill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> And GPL does scare the suits, though in a more rational
>>> world one would merely ensure that the source code
>>> repository is properly policed, then exported.
>>
>> I don't think it is so much GPL itself that scares them, but the FSF,
>> and RMS in particular.  RMS/FSF have some interpretations of parts of
>> GPL that are at odds with copyright law, and with the case law.  This
>> means that it is possible to obey the GPL, and *still* have the FSF get
>> on your ass.
>
> No it isn't.
>
> You might make RMS angry but the most he can do is use
> stern language with you.

Or file a lawsuit, like the SFLC:

http://thinkingopen.wordpress.com/2007/09/20/let-the-games-begin-sflc-files-first-ever-lawsuit-alleging-violation-of-the-gpl-in-the-us/

I'm a little puzzled, as I have no trouble building BusyBox
(using standard Gentoo emerge).  It is possible Gentoo is
missing some of Monsoon's source.

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Q: "Why is my computer doing that?"
A: "Don't do that and you'll be fine."