[News] ASUS Motherboards Bypass Windows, Give Huge Boost to GNU/Linux

ASUS' Big Development

,----[ Quote ]
| The ASUS sneak attack. The most interesting story the media is downplaying is
| the ASUS announcement that it will have a ROM boot chip on all its
| motherboards, which will boot Linux instantly on start-up. When you flick the
| switch the machine is instantly on. (It's about time.) Of course, you will
| have to press another button for the machine to load Windows.
|
| [...]
|
| It's an extremely subversive ploy for a number of reasons. First of all, it
| gets people used to Linux, gives them a pain-free experience, and provides
| quick rewards. Second, it shows users that—most of the time—this is all they
| need. And finally, it makes Windows look like a subsystem not much different
| from a program that you run under Windows. The psychological effect of this
| is profound, and the results could be devastating for Microsoft.
|
| What will develop naturally from such a new architecture will be Linux
| replacement apps for the usual Windows apps. One at a time they will come.
| Windows will boot only for those laggard apps, such as Adobe Photoshop or
| Illustrator. The rest of the time, users will remain in Linux, which will be
| perceived as very snappy and responsive—something missing from Windows.

Splashtop “Instant On” motherboard

,----[ Quote ]
| So I have had on my desk for about week now a sweet little ASUS laptop
| containing one of the new Splashtop motherboards. Don’t know what Splashtop
| is? Well Splashtop is a motherboard that contains, in the onboard memory, a
| special version of Linux (based on Small Linux - formerly tinyX) that runs
| right after the bios. In my review laptop, I hit a special key (mapped to
| tinyX), the bios posts, and tinyX is up and ready to surf the Web and do a
| minimum amount of tricks.
`----

http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/opensource/?p=187

SplashTop Running On Prototype ASUS Notebook

,----[ Quote ]
| DeviceVM's SplashTop, a product we had named as one of the greatest Linux
| innovations in 2007, is sharing a booth this week at the Consumer Electronic
| Show (CES) with ASUS. At their booth we were allowed to check out a SplashTop
| demo running on an ASUS notebook! This notebook has yet to be introduced by
| ASUS, but it's intended for high-end gaming and comes with SplashTop Linux as
| a complementary operating system. This version of SplashTop is slightly
| updated and has new features too.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=965&num=1

Embedded Linux goes Open Source

,----[ Quote ]
| DeviceVM, the maker of Splashtop software which features embedded Linux "Fast
| Boot" products like featured in the Asus P5E3 Deluxe WiFi-AP @n has just
| released the source code to its software under GPL.
`----

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2007/11/21/asus_p5e3_embedded_linux_goes_open_source/1

SplashTop Source Code Released

,----[ Quote ]
| These patches are for Bootsplash,
| DVM, getting the CMOS time, adjusting the max loop, the sk98lin networking
| driver, and SquashFS. Presently, the Linux kernel that SplashTop uses is
| Linux 2.6.20.11.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=915&num=1

ASUS add WiFi-N, quick-boot Linux to P5E3 motherboard

,----[ Quote ]
| hat last part is perhaps the most interesting; ASUS are calling it Express
| Gate, but it’s basically a fast-boot alternative that, in just five seconds,
| bypasses Windows and gives you a web-browser running in a custom Linux OS.
`----

http://www.slashgear.com/asus-add-wifi-n-quick-boot-linux-to-p5e3-motherboard-267643.php

Splashtop Linux conquers Asus laptops

,----[ Quote ]
| It's a small step for an operating system, perhaps, but it could be another
| giant leap for Linux. DeviceVM has announced that its Splashtop 'instant-on'
| Linux is to appear on Asus laptops from this summer.
|
| The news follows the DeviceVM's recent coup of persuading the influential
| Taiwanese PC company to embed Splashtop - which Asus calls 'Express Gate' -
| on all its motherboards, out of the blue putting a type of Linux in millions
| of mainstream computers for the first time.
`----

http://news.idg.no/cw/art.cfm?id=352498F7-17A4-0F78-31339E4889EF36A6

Asus to launch laptops with instant-on feature

,----[ Quote ]
| Five new laptop models from Asus will incorporate DeviceVM's Splashtop
| instant-on software, the computer maker said Thursday at the Computex show in
| Taipei, Taiwan.
`----

http://www.webware.com/8301-1_109-9954282-2.html

Feeling the heat at Microsoft