Lurker surfaces, annoyed at some idiot posters

  • Subject: Lurker surfaces, annoyed at some idiot posters
  • From: George <not.real@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2008 18:08:30 GMT
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
First post to c.o.l.a

Moshe Goldfarb (brick.n.straw@xxxxxxxxx, but it changes), DFS
(nospam@xxxxxxxx), Ezekiel (a@xxxxx), raylopez99 (raylopez99@xxxxxxxxx),
et al

Might have missed a couple, I'm sure they will let me know.

You guys are unhelpful, often off-topic and incoherent. Your childish
attacks actually *lend credibility to Linux* and hurts your cause, which
is transparently anti-Linux. Your posts really say more about yourselves
than Linux. If you knew how to debate without insulting your opponent
then your intended audience (guys like me, probably) would be more
likely to read you.

In fact I fully expect to be attacked myself, such is the opinion I have
of you four. Which would of course prove my point. You all spend time in
a Linux advocacy group attacking *linux advocates*. WTF? These attacks
are usually in favor of Windows. Microsoft doesn't need your help.
Microsoft is the incumbent, *nix is the competitor.

The trolling *does* generate lively discussion. Sometimes useful
information is gleaned from the patient way that helpful posters,
unaware that they are being trolled, genuinely attempt to help the
troller.

Furthermore, I find that the Linux advocates in this group are not
adverse to suggesting users use *Windows* if that is indeed the best
choice. Roy Schestowitz enjoys posting links to news reports critical of
Microsoft, that while voluminous, are no less accurate for that. He also
posts many stories that do not mention Microsoft at all. Really, though,
how can any OS that shares a market with Microsoft not bump heads with
that giant who uses anticompetitive tactics to smother it?

About me:

I have been a usenet poster for many years on many different computers
with many different names since 1993. I like mac OS X these days but I
started out using Windows like many others. Because I can, and because
of the Unix core of OS X (since 2000), I frequently use Terminal to run
a Unix shell (I know Unix and Linux aren't the same but very close in
operation). I also run X11 on my iBook. Frankly, while not free (and
only partially open-source) OS X is really a nice Unix GUI.

The knowledge I gained via OS X's Unix shell motivated me to run Ubuntu
7.04 on my Dell inspiron with confidence. Even though Ubuntu is a fine
GUI distribution I wanted more knowledge before the jump from XP to
Linux. *nix takes a little know-how, but I spent countless hours
learning how to use Windows and MacOS. There is no free lunch.

And, hey, Moshe Goldfarb, stop changing your name so I can successfully
plonk you OK? What a douchebag. You think your pro-Microsoft argument is
better received if you do crap like that? You're in my kill file under 5
different names already.