[News] [Rival] Charity Killer Intel Accused of More Abusive Conduct

EU thumps Intel with more anti-AMD charges

,----[ Quote ]
| It's true. The European Union has thrown a new set of anti-trust allegations
| at Intel.
|
| Earlier this week, rumors swirled that the EU would spring into action,
| adding charges to a European Commission investigation against Intel that's
| been going since 2001. Now the extra charges have arrived, with EU regulators
| accusing Intel of three new bits of "abusive conduct" designed to wound AMD's
| place in the x86 processor market.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/07/17/intel_eu_charges/

AMD loses $1.19bn and CEO Ruiz

,----[ Quote ]
| AMD today hit Wall Street with a one-two punch. It lost a stunning $1.19bn
| during the second quarter. And it nudged Hector Ruiz out of the CEO role,
| replacing him with longtime planned successor Dirk Meyer, who has been
| President and COO.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/07/17/amd_q2_ruiz_out/

They should have embargoed Intel to restore justice, but no...

Days ago:

Intel faces another EU probe

,----[ Quote ]
| The allegation is that Intel used 'inducements' to persuade major European
| retailers not to sell computers equipped with AMD chippage.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/07/16/intel-involved-eu-probe

EU dumps more anti-trust charges on Intel

,----[ Quote ]
| New charges could delay the case - Intel will have two months to respond to
| any allegations made. After this the Commission could decide to publicly
| charge the company with anti-trust offences.
`----

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2008/07/16/intel_eu_charges_increased/

Recent:

It's the Year of Discovery at AMD – Discovery of Intel Irregularities, That Is

,----[ Quote ]
| Of course, South Korea isn't the only government to indict the company over
| its market dominance; in 2005, Japan ruled the silicon giant in violation of
| Japanese antitrust laws, a decision Intel declined to contest. The European
| Union is currently investigating Intel's practices — including February's
| surprise raid on the firm's German offices — as is the New York Attorney
| General's Office, which opened an investigation in January. Meanwhile, the
| U.S. Federal Trade Commission — primarily former-antitrust defense counsel
| and now-chairman Deborah Majoras, who ignored calls from Congress and fellow
| Commissioners to launch an investigation — has been reluctant to pursue the
| matter, though an "informal probe" is said to be underway.
`----

http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/its-year-discovery-amd-%E2%80%93-discovery-intel-irregularities

Microsoft dropped Vista hardware spec to raise Intel profits

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2008/03/01/microsoft_intel_vista_capable_emails/

Microsoft 'Caves' To Intel

http://www.forbes.com/2008/02/28/microsoft-vista-intel-tech-ebiz-cx_wt_0228vista.html?partner=yahootix

Intel "paid vendors not to use AMD"

,----[ Quote ]
| AMD filed suit in Delaware against Intel in June of 2005, accusing its
| competitor of abusing its monopolistic position. The complaint charges that
| customers were forced not to use AMD processors. At that time the Japanese
| anti-trust body was investigating Intel and the EU Commission also had its
| eye on Intel's behaviour.
`----

http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/107495/from/rss09

Related:

Negroponte says Intel should be "ashamed of itself"

,----[ Quote ]
| He is furious that Intel's CEO Craig Barrett called the One Laptop a
| gadget. The Negroponte initiative is caught in the middle of a vicious
| fight between AMD and Intel, he said.

FTC Opens Antitrust Investigation Into Intel

,----[ Quote ]
| The Fair Trade Commission of Japan (JFTC) in 2005 recommended that Intel end
| its practice of offering funds to PC makers in exchange for a commitment not
| to use processors from its competitors. Intel accepted those recommendations,
| which came after a lengthy JFTC investigation, saying at the time it wanted
| to avoid a protracted legal battle.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/146794/ftc_opens_antitrust_investigation_into_intel.html
http://tinyurl.com/5dsdds

Intel, AMD See Date With Justice Pushed Back to 2010

,----[ Quote ]
| AMD is accusing Intel of using illegal subsidies in order to coerce 38
| companies in North America, Asia and Europe to use its products, in some
| cases threatening retribution if those companies used or sold AMD products.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/146780/intel_amd_see_date_with_justice_pushed_back_to_2010.html
http://tinyurl.com/5chl3a

Intel's Otellini accuses the EU of being anti-American

,----[ Quote ]
| Still, he sighed, the worst case scenario is that he might have to write a
| cheque, even if fines in the current case could be as high as $3.2 billion
`----.

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2007/10/24/eu-getting-anti-american

Intel dodges formal U.S. antitrust probe - report

,----[ Quote ]
| Head of F.T.C. nixes Intel probe, despite investigations in Europe and South
| Korea.
`----

http://money.cnn.com/2007/10/22/technology/intel_ftc/index.htm?source=yahoo_quote

Regulators Avoiding Intel Investigation?

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/071022/intel_ftc.html?.v=1

US FTC staff not held back on Intel-commissioner

| FTC Chairman Deborah Majoras, a Republican, has rejected requests by
| lawmakers, other commissioners and Advanced Micro Devices Inc to open a
| formal antitrust investigation into its much larger rival Intel, the New York
| Times reported on Monday.
`----

http://www.reuters.com/article/marketsNews/idUKN2245923020071022?rpc=44

Report: FTC rejects calls for antitrust probe of Intel

,----[ Quote ]
| The New York Times reported on Monday that FTC Chairman Deborah Majoras has
| rejected requests to escalate at informal review into a formal investigation,
| citing unnamed government officials and lawyers involved in the matter.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/bizj/071022/1538729.html?.v=1

Business Group Spent $140,000 Lobbying

,----[ Quote ]
| The group's members include Intel Corp., Exxon Mobil Corp. and Bristol-Myers
| Squibb Co.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/070821/intel_lobbying.html?.v=1

FTC won't step up Intel antitrust probe

,----[ Quote ]
| Intel, the world's biggest maker of computer chips, has been cited for
| anti-competitive behavior for allegedly offering large discounts to computer
| makers in exchange for their not using products from AMD, the paper said.
|
| Those faulting Intel include regulators with the European Commission and
| Korea, the Times said. Japanese officials also made similar accusations in
| 2005, it said. Intel controls some 80 percent to 90 percent of the microchip
| market, it said.
`----

http://www.reuters.com/article/marketsNews/idUKN2138149820071022?rpc=44

Top sales official at AMD steps down

,----[ Quote ]
| Richard, known for his sharp suits and frank comments about AMD's much-larger
| rival Intel Corp., oversaw AMD's international sales force and corporate
| marketing initiatives.
`----

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/top-salesman-amd-step-down/story.aspx?guid=%7B571023D1-6225-4DA9-BF2B-4B05F6D0599C%7D&siteid=yhoof

Why Brussels is Abuzz with Lobbyists

| As the EU sets more rules, corporations are building their presence and
| paying for clout
`----

http://www.businessweek.com/globalbiz/content/oct2007/gb20071018_193716.htm?campaign_id=yhoo

Intel Hires Lobbying Firm

,----[ Quote ]
| Computer chip maker Intel Corp. has hired FBA Inc. to lobby the federal
| government, according to a federal disclosure form.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/070821/intel_lobbying.html?.v=1

Intel Joins Bill Clinton's Global Initiative

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/070927/20070927005350.html?.v=1

Micron Opening Lobbying Office in DC

,----[ Quote ]
| Micron Technology Inc., on Thursday said it has opened a government
| affairs office in Washington to lead the computer memory maker's
| lobbying efforts on patent reform, international trade, research
| funding and other issues.
|
| [...]
|
| Carroll, 33, worked for the last six years as trade policy
| director for semiconductor maker Intel Corp., which she joined
| in 1998 as European government affairs policy manager based in
| Brussels, Belgium.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/070301/micron_expansion.html?.v=1

Marketing Group Spent $350,000 Lobbying

,----[ Quote ]
| The Direct Marketing Association spent $350,000 in the first half of 2007 to
| lobby the federal government, according to a disclosure form.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/070821/marketing_industry_lobbying.html?.v=1

S. Korea sends Intel antitrust statement-company

,----[ Quote ]
| South Korea began investigating Intel's marketing and rebate practices for
| computer processors two years ago after similar probes by Japan and the
| European Union.
`----

http://www.reuters.com/article/marketsNews/idUKN1337305020070913?rpc=44

Korean antitrust probe of Intel ends, penalties to be decided soon

,----[ Quote ]
| Although neither Intel nor the KFTC provided details on the findings, sources
| told the Korea Times said that the antitrust regulators did plan to impose
| penalties on the chipmaker. "The FTC gained some evidence backing up
| suspicions that Intel has offered discounts to computer makers in exchange
| for sealing exclusive deals, and coerced dealers not to buy products from
| rivals such as Advanced Micro Devices (AMD)," said one source.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070911-intel-could-face-sanctions-as-a-result-of-korean-antitrust-probe.html

Intel: South Korean Antitrust Probe Over

,----[ Quote ]
| South Korean media have reported the inquiry has centered on allegations
| Intel abused its market dominance by pressuring computer makers to avoid
| using chips made by Intel's rivals.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/070911/skorea_intel.html?.v=2

Intel to Reply Soon to Antitrust Queries

,----[ Quote ]
| It is not common for the Federal Trade Commission, which issued a second
| request for information to Intel last week, to ask for more information on
| such mergers.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/070905/as_tec_india_intel_stmicroelectronics.html?.v=1

US antitrust group urges Intel investigation

,----[ Quote ]
| The American Antitrust Institute (AAI), a Washington DC lobby group, has
| written an open letter to the Federal Trade Commission urging an
| investigation of Intel's allegedly monopolistic business practices.
|
| [...]
|
| AAI say its insistence of an investigation is based on allegations by AMD in
| a private case and information obtained by the EC's complaint, which have not
| been made public
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/08/30/aai_wants_intel_probe_expansion/

Intel urged to give more data on flash unit deal

,----[ Quote ]
| ...U.S. Federal Trade Commission has requested additional information on the
| company's deal with STMicroelectronics...
`----

http://www.reuters.com/article/marketsNews/idUKWNAS317820070830?rpc=44

The Fight for Fair and Open Competition

,----[ Quote ]
| AMD is an undisputed technology and innovation leader.
|
| However, Intel's abusive, illegal monopolistic behavior is preventing
| businesses and consumers alike from choosing freely between AMD and Intel
| products.
`----

http://breakfree.amd.com/en-us/antitrust.aspx

EC says Intel influenced bids for computer projects

,----[ Quote ]
| The third type of allegation, however, was new, and sounded like a variety of
| predatory pricing. “In the context of bids against AMD-based products for
| strategic customers in the server segment of the market,” the commission
| press release said, “Intel has offered CPUs on average below cost.”
`----

http://legalpad.blogs.fortune.com/2007/08/03/ec-says-intel-influenced-bids-for-computer-projects/

AMD chief condemns Intel 'abuses'

,----[ Quote ]
| In 2005, after the Japan Fair Trade Commission found Intel guilty of
| offering illegal rebates to Japanese PC makers, AMD filed an anti-trust
| suit against its competitor in the U.S. District Court in Delaware. The
| case has not been decided.
`----

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2007/06/21/amd_ceo_condemns_intel_abuses/

AMD: Intel Destroyed Evidence in Antitrust Case

,----[ Quote ]
| In an unpublished statement to the U.S. District Court of Delaware,
| AMD alleges Intel allowed the destruction of evidence in pending
| antitrust litigation.

Video: Henri Richard comes out swinging at Intel during AMD press conference

,----[ Quote ]
| [AMD's Henri Richard:] "I am sick and tired of being pushed around
| by a competitor that doesn't respect the rules of fair and open
| competition."
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Berlind/?p=363

Investors sue Dell on payments from Intel: WSJ

,----[ Quote ]
| An investor lawsuit seeking class-action status accuses Dell Inc. of
| improper accounting in its relationship with chip giant Intel,
| according to a media report published Thursday evening.
|
| [...]
|
| The suit alleges that Dell received at times as much as $1 billion
| a year in "secret and likely illegal" kickbacks in the form of
| "e-Cap" or "exception to corporate average pricing" payments"
| from Intel to ensure that Dell used no other chip supplier,
| according to The Journal.
`----

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/investors-sue-dell-payments-intel/story.aspx?guid=%7B400315B0%2DE375%2D4920%2DB300%2D784220BEFE35%7D&siteid=yhoo&dist=yhoo

Lenovo got financial help from Intel, claim

,----[ Quote ]
| Journalists on the title said Lenovo is being paid a "pretty
| penny" from Intel to use its chips.

| In 2005, a unit of Shenzhen Donjin countersued, saying Intel engaged
| in monopolistic practices.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/070514/china_intel_settlement.html?.v=7

Intel's anti-trust memos started vanishing from the top

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/03/11/intel_tortellini_episode/