In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Homer
<usenet@xxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Thu, 17 Jul 2008 18:38:04 +0100
<tkc4l5-v2s.ln1@xxxxxxxxxx>:

>> EU tells UK to deal with Phorm - or else
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | The European Commission has sent a message to the British
>> | government, and it reads something like this:
>> | "If you don't deal with Phorm, we will."
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/07/16/eu_warns_uk_over_phorm/
>
> Whoah! That should've been the headliner.
>
> It's not often I say this, but it's at times like this I'm really glad
> we're in the EC.

Meanwhile, El Presidente eavesdrops on any conversations
he likes [*] and no one says boo; we're too worried apparently
about magazine covers and lapel pins.  Ye gods.

Still, I wonder about Phorm.  I doubt they intended to do
harm as such, but then, neither did the proverbial little
boy who knocked over a precious Ming vase...and at least
such a child has an excuse.

Is Google still using long-term tracking cookies? ;-)

[*] no way for me to know, admittedly.  I suspect eavesdropping
technology has come a long way since J. Edgar Hoover's funny
noises, especially if the initiating exchange includes an ADC.

He says, of course, that he only wants to listen in on
those conversations that initiate or terminate overseas,
but there's way too many perturbations in our phone gear,
part of it because of the Ma Bell breakup, part of it
because of technologies such as VoIP and mobile.

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
/dev/signature: No such file or directory