Re: [News] Study: GNU/Linux Adopted in the Enterprise More Than Apple Macs

<newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Thu, 17 Jul 2008 17:13:15 +0000
<3326624.Lzi1K4WDCk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> Vista: DOA in the Enterprise

Oh no.  Not that.  Vista's state of the art, right?

> ,----[ Quote ]
> | The really bad news for Microsoft: the number of business PCs running Windows
> | XP increased from 2007 to 2008?three times the increase in the percentage of
> | PCs running Vista.
> |
> | Perhaps worse: The majority of businesses waiting for Vista?meaning those
> | running older Windows versions?migrated to XP instead. Microsoft had counted
> | on Windows 2000 and older versions to go to Vista. The newest Windows saw
> | some conversion, but XP got much more.
> `----
>
> http://www.microsoft-watch.com/content/vista/vista_doa_in_the_enterprise.html?kc=MWRSS02129TX1K0000535
> http://tinyurl.com/5by7m4
>
> GNU/Linux is popular among home users, but this one shows
> that even enterprises use it quite extensively. How long
> can the Big Lie go on?

As long as someone wants to perpetuate it, and bear in mind
that Linux still has a long way to go to achieve a plurality,
never mind a majority -- assuming that even makes sense, as
one might instead contemplate a roundtable of Windows and
OSX each at 33%, and all of the Linux distros being about 33%.
FreeBSD and ReactOS might come in there too.

> OS Roundup: Looking Beyond Unix
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | This message heralded the start of collaborative work on what was to become
> | the Linux kernel. Together with the fruits of the GNU project, it resulted in
> | the GNU/Linux OS, which is usually referred to as Linux.
> |
> | So now there are several alternatives when it comes to OSes. There are closed
> | source, proprietary OSes such as Microsoft's. There are free, open-source
> | OSes, such as the many distributions of Linux. And there are open and
> | proprietary Unix based-OSes, and other OSes as well.
> |
> | Fast forward 17 years and many of the differences (especially the cultural
> | ones) between these software models have blurred:
> |
> | Linux has been adopted in the enterprise, and big vendors like IBM, HP, Sun,
> | Novell and Red Hat are forging business out of supplying it to customers
> | (usually by selling support packages and additional software tools.)
> `----
>
> http://www.serverwatch.com/eur/article.php/3759326
>

> Recent:
>
> Is Linux Getting the Shaft?
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | So I went and looked. Here is the description of the database used by the
> | Market Share service that everyone seems to rely on:
> |

> |     We collect data from the browsers of site visitors to our exclusive
> |     on-demand network of live stats customers. The data is compiled from
> |     approximately 160 million visitors per month. The information published
> |     is an aggregate of the data from this network of hosted website
> |     statistics. The site unique visitor and referral information is
> |     summarized on a monthly basis.
> |
> | WTF?
> |
> | Is this supposed to be some kind of unbiased sample?

Probably not. ;-)  Especially with the stupider viruses running amok.

> | But wait, there's more...
> |
> | [...]
> |
> | The complexity of this problem is actually rather large. But I can tell you
> | one thing: If you were my graduate student and you came to me with this
> | sampling strategy, I'd send you back to kindergarten. (If I had that power.)
> `----
>
> http://scienceblogs.com/gregladen/2008/07/is_linux_getting_the_shaft.php?utm_source=sbhomepage&utm_medium=link&utm_content=channellink

Mmmm....crayons and library paste. ;-)

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Linux.  Because Windows' Blue Screen Of Death is just
way too frightening to novice users.