[News] Grid.org Relaunched, France Hates the Internet

Grid.org Community Launches Major Site Upgrade

,----[ Quote ]
| Grid.org, the open source community for cluster and grid users,
| administrators and developers, unveiled its new website today at
| www.grid.org.
`----

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/gridorg-community-launches-major-site/story.aspx?guid=%7B516DE362-4963-4CB2-9E31-96023C44F14A%7D&dist=hppr
http://tinyurl.com/6m88dp

France Hates the Internet. And Your Shoes.

,----[ Quote ]
| Legal Pad sent an email to Stanford intellectual property scholar Mark Lemley
| to ask why the difference between France and America? Lemley cut to the chase
| in his one line response: “Because the U.S. has a legal system that respects
| and encourages the development of the Internet, and France, so far, does
| not,” he wrote.
`----

http://legalpad.typepad.com/my_weblog/2008/07/france-hates-th.html

Recent:

Opinion - The role of open source in grid computing: past, present and future

,----[ Quote ]
| To a significant extent, the benefits that we predicted for open source
| release have indeed accrued: Globus software has been widely adopted, and
| many groups are doing amazing things with it, building exciting applications,
| powerful tools, and substantial infrastructures. (I can go on at tremendous
| length on this topic, but I will restrain myself.)
`----

http://www.isgtw.org/?pid=1001050

Open source grid computing takes off

,----[ Quote ]
| The Hadoop project is opening up a really interesting discussion around
| computing scale. A few years ago I never would have imagined that the open
| source world would be contributing software solutions like this to the
| market. I don’t know why I had that perception, really. Perhaps all the
| positioning by enterprise software companies to discredit open source
| software started to sink in.
`----

http://www.mattmcalister.com/blog/2008/02/19/220/open-source-grid-computing-takes-off/

Related:

XtreemOS, a Linux-based Operating System to support Virtual Organizations for
next generation Grids

,----[ Quote ]
| Based on Linux, XtreemOS will have 3 different versions capable of running on
| single PCs, clusters and mobile devices and will provide for the Grid what an
| operating system offers for a single computer: abstraction from the hardware
| and secure resource sharing between different users.
`----

http://www.tmcnet.com/usubmit/-xtreemos-linux-based-operating-system-support-virtual-organizations-/2007/11/30/3132605.htm

Living off the grid OS

,----[ Quote ]