Re: Linux.com Editor Joe Barr is dead

  • Subject: Re: Linux.com Editor Joe Barr is dead
  • From: fcassia <fcassia@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 01:23:14 -0700 (PDT)
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
On Jul 12, 6:04 pm, Homer <use...@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Joe Barr died suddenly last night, aged 64.
>
> In addition to his work at Linux.com, he became infamous for a scathing
> attack on MPlayer [*], but some may also remember his dweebspeak primer,
> in which he related details of the Microsoft Munchkins' attacks on OS2:
>
> http://www.pjprimer.com/jihad.html
>
> A memorial tribute by Linux.com:
>
> http://www.linux.com/feature/141548

I'm deeply saddened. I knew Joe Bar only from e-mail, but back in the
days of CIS:Canopus, he was kind enough to mail me a copy of his print
version of the PJPrimer newsletter .... half a world across to my home
down in South America, free of charge of course. He also never left an
e-mail message unanswered.

He was among the first persons whose work sparked the idea in me about
getting into IT reporting.

Last time I heard of him... he was playing with RealBasic, writing a
cards game... don't know if it was ever released or he was just toying
withe the compiler/ide.

You'll be missed, Joe!.
FC