Re: [News] GNOME 2.30 Will be GNOME 3.0 (Version # Bump)

On 2008-07-11, Homer <usenet@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Verily I say unto thee, that Tom Shelton spake thusly:
>
>> libbeagle.so is a C library - therefore, has nothing to do with Mono
>> other then the Beagle search tool calls into it for some of it's
>> functionality.  It in no way is dependant on mono, afik.
>
> That's more than a little disingenuous, since libbeagle's entire purpose
> is to provide bindings to Beagle, without which it is rather pointless.
>
> The fact is that I do not want Mono, nor any of it's supporting
> infrastructure (regardless of what language those supporting libraries
> are written in) anywhere near my systems. A lot of other people concur.
>
> Also it seems that Debajyoti Bera (Beagle) is as determined to poison
> Free Software with .NET as de Icaza:
>
> [quote]
> We would be extremely happy if beagle only used C# for all its
> operations. Unfortunately, we have to depend on a lot of C libraries for
> indexing certain files.
> [/quote]
>
> http://slated.org/free_software_diseased_by_mono

So, let me get this straight, a library writen in C and licensed under
the GPL is unacceptable because it happend to be written to support a
Mono based application (libbeagle is not part of the Mono infrastructure)?
And because of that, it can never be used by another application developer who
might find some of it's functionality useful?

Seems a bit exterem to me...

--
Tom Shelton