[News] GNU/Linux Needs to Beat Apple, Windows a 'Zombie Platform'

Ubuntu: Challenge the Mac

,----[ Quote ]
| Normally I would just provide a Diigo link to this if it weren’t something
| I’ve been saying a lot in talks. Over at InformationWeek, Serdar Yegulaip was
| a piece called “Shuttleworth’s Ubuntu Ambitions: Challenge the Mac”. He
| quotes Mark Shuttleworth saying in a Datamation article:
|
|     … our goal, very simply, is to make sure the Free software ecosystem can
|     deliver a Mac OS-like experience, or an experience that will compete with
|     the Mac OS.
|
| I think this is exactly right. It’s time to look past Windows, even with its
| huge installed base, as any sort of “gold standard” (as Mark calls it),
| especially for user interface.
`----

http://www.sutor.com/newsite/blog-open/?p=2402

Does Linux wonder about an Apple netbook?

,----[ Quote ]
| This week marked Apple’s release of the new iPhone 3G with bolstered
| connectivity and further refinement of the innovative device. While I had to
| smirk a bit at the iPhone hiccups, the OTHER device that keeps coming up for
| me (new models, press calls, wife wants one) is the netbook, or whatever you
| want to call it. It’s got me wondering whether my Linux hopes for netbooks
| could be fouled up by Apple and its own cross between the iPhone and the
| MacBook Air? An Apple netbook would be a formidable competitor in the space,
| which based on the increasing number of products, users, hardware, software
| and other vendors seems to be growing well beyond niche.
`----

http://blogs.the451group.com/opensource/2008/07/11/does-linux-wonder-about-an-apple-netbook/
http://tinyurl.com/6ypzp7

Recent:

Tim Bray provides a bridge between Sun and developers

,----[ Quote ]
| For all the difficulties, Bray suggests that he often sees at least
| incremental improvements in Sun. For instance, after he observed "ferment in
| the Python world," he says that his advocacy "helped commit Sun to really
| open up their hardware to the [Python] project. And then we just a couple of
| weeks ago hired two Python people. We're starting to get our feet wet there."
|
| [...]
|
| Looking further ahead, Bray predicts a move away from Microsoft operating
| systems. "The fact is that the vast majority of office desktops are using
| Windows, the third-best platform," he says. "You can argue about the relative
| merits of modern Linuxes like Ubuntu and the Mac, but they are clearly better
| than Windows in terms of robustness, cost, performance, and a whole bunch of
| other things. For the long term, can the mainstream of business continue to
| ignore the fact that there's a better alternative than what they're running?
| If that logjam breaks, that's going to be a real change."
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/133149

Related:

French police deal blow to Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| The French paramilitary police force said Wednesday it is ditching Microsoft
| for the free Linux operating system, becoming one of the biggest
| administrations in the world to make the break.
`----

http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5iU4Lq7tOR_WVOJLZ3IeRaIH03x6w

Federal Employment Office switches to Linux

http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/102218