Re: [News] GNOME 2.30 Will be GNOME 3.0 (Version # Bump)

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Homer
<usenet@xxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Fri, 11 Jul 2008 22:08:13 +0100
<tmukk5-j6j.ln1@xxxxxxxxxx>:
> Verily I say unto thee, that Tom Shelton spake thusly:
>
>> For, hell's sake - the FSF has there own .NET implementation...
>> DotGNU.  What can he say?
>
> Stallman is wrong about DotGNU:
>
> [quote]
> DotGNU?s motivations include stopping Microsoft from achieving
> monopolistic control of web services. Getting people to adopt C#
> probably isn?t a good way of accomplishing this. Every Java devotee that
> dotGNU converts to the C# cause is actually increasing Microsoft?s
> stronghold.
> [/quote]
>
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/02/11/mono_and_dotgnu_whats/

Personally, I find C# interesting, but Java is far more
comfortable.  Of course part of Java's comfort level is
simply because it's been around longer, and one now knows
about its many blemishes (some of which Sun has attempted
to fix).  For its part C# has some problems, and feels
overly complicated; one might even be far better off using
gsoap, for example -- an ANSI C SOAP implementation.

I'm still hoping for a true opensource Java.  I think Java
1.6 source has been released under a rather restrictive
license, but would have to look.

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Useless C/C++ Programming Idea #1123133:
void f(FILE * fptr, char *p) { fgets(p, sizeof(p), fptr); }