[News] [Rival] Microsoft 'Pulls a DR-DOS' on Firefox -- Twice!

Microsoft anti-malware tool removes Firefox 3

,----[ Quote ]
| WE'VE RECEIVED a report that suggests Microsoft might be up to its old tricks
| again.
|
| Windows 95 wouldn't permit users to run DR-DOS instead of MS-DOS. Back in the
| day, Caldera sued Microsoft, and the case was settled out of court for an
| undisclosed sum.
|
| [...]
|
| Mozilla's lawyers should be reaching for their phones and legal pads even as
| you read this.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/07/10/microsoft-anti-malware-tool

A Proprietary Web? Blame the W3C

,----[ Quote ]
| A recent post of mine about Firefox and my general view of corporations and
| organizations caused a bit of a stir. It even caught the attention of Asa
| Dotzler, a prominent Mozilla employee. In Mr. Dotzler’s rebuff of my post he
| said something that has really bothered me. He said “It’s really hard for me
| to believe that either [Microsoft or Adobe] have the free and open Web at
| heart when they’re actively subverting it with closed technologies like Flash
| and Silverlight.” But are they really subverting it? Where exactly is the
| line between serving the consumer and subverting the web?
`----

http://pseudosavant.com/blog/2008/07/08/a-proprietary-web-blame-the-w3c/

How about a former Microsoft employee at Nokia and Microsoft's pals at Apple?
They fought Ogg. Microsoft's Wilson at W3C also caused damage to HTML5 by
fighting Mozilla over things like ECMAScript. And people want to allow
Microsoft into ODF?

The Web development skills crisis

,----[ Quote ]
| The proliferation of Web technologies has been much on my mind lately. Last
| week, I talked about the continuum of Web development tools, ranging from
| traditional browser-based technologies all the way to applications deployed
| as binary executables. The interesting thing is that all of these tools are
| designed to achieve similar goals. So which do you use?
|
| I'm not trying to start a flame war. Some developers will swear by Flash,
| while others will choose AJAX, and even within those groups there will be
| individuals whose preferences are even more rigidly defined.
`----

http://weblog.infoworld.com/fatalexception/archives/2008/07/the_web_develop.html

Related:

Is the Sacred Cow of Web Standards Headed for the Slaughterhouse?

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://blog.wired.com/monkeybites/2007/12/is-the-sacred-c.html