[News] Patent Trolls Attack with Software Patents

WLGC: Files Patent Infringement Lawsuit Against Mercedes-Benz USA

,----[ Quote ]
| The company through its wholly owned subsidiary 602531 British Columbia Ltd.,
| which holds the Company's patent and patent pending portfolio, will be
| seeking damages for patent infringement for use of their car navigation
| system in certain 2007, 2008, and 2009 Mercedes-Benz models under US Patent
| No. 7293231 titled "DATA ENTRY FOR PERSONAL COMPUTING DEVICES". WordLogic
| believes that this infringement was willful.
`----

http://www.tradingmarkets.com/.site/news/Stock%20News/1742429/

Owner Of Infamous JPEG Patent Tries To Line Jump The Re-Exam Process

,----[ Quote ]
| You may recall the infamous "JPEG patent" we've talked about recently. It's
| the one that patent attorney Ray Niro, about whom the phrase "patent troll"
| was initially coined, has used to sue all sorts of critics or companies he
| doesn't appear to like.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20080708/0049511620.shtml

Recent:

Intellectual Property Regime Stifles Science and Innovation, Nobel Laureates
Say

,----[ Quote ]
| Patent monopolies are believed to drive innovation but they actually impede
| the pace of science and innovation, Stiglitz said. The current “patent
| thicket,” in which anyone who writes a successful software programme is sued
| for alleged patent infringement, highlights the current IP system’s failure
| to encourage innovation, he said.
|
| Another problem is that the social returns from innovation do not accord with
| the private returns associated with the patent system, Stiglitz said. The
| marginal benefit from innovation is that an idea may become available sooner
| than it might have. But the person who secures the patent on it wins a
| long-term monopoly, creating a gap between private and social returns.
`----

http://www.ip-watch.org/weblog/index.php?p=1129

Archbishop Desmond Tutu a fan of free music

,----[ Quote ]
| Count Archbishop Desmond Tutu, the Nobel Prize winner and internationally
| known humanitarian, as a member of the free-music movement.
|
| Tutu has become involved with SOS Records, a label that plans to let users
| decide which acts it signs. Tutu was in New York on Tuesday to help launch
| the label's site, which will offer open MP3s free of charge.
|
| [...]
|
| Tutu also said that SOS Records is a way for up-and-coming artists to be
| discovered and "get their fair reward," adding that "the democratization of
| music is very close to my heart."
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9937566-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Related:

Is Stiglitz the official economist of open source?

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=2348