Re: [News] [Rival] Botnet King Gates Loses to His Windows Zombies

____/ The Ghost In The Machine on Thursday 10 July 2008 17:48 : \____

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Roy Schestowitz
> <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>  wrote
> on Thu, 10 Jul 2008 21:19:19 -0400
> <1405218.TRtMOvhCF9@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>>
>> ____/ SomeBloke on Thursday 10 July 2008 13:45 : \____

>>> This was a report from a company called CommTouch, not a claim
>>> from Roy. Who looks ridiculous now Stewie?
>>
>> There are roughly 320 million Windows PCs that are zombies
>> (assumping USA TOday was correct). Not all of them are used
>> as 'SPAM reactors' every single say.  The 'operators' of botnets
>> just pick subsets and move along (if the cybercrooks increase
>> their 'staffing', they will). There is no contradiction
>> here at all the the Munchkins know it very well.
>>
>> Windows botnets are underutilised, that's all.
>
> Were they more utilized the ISPs with nodes on the
> botnets would probably start to shut down those particular
> accounts, annoying the heck out of everybody (since the
> account holders are not the ones authorizing the spam).
>
> It's a balancing game, from the looks of it, and they
> are stealing bandwidth.
>
> [.sigsnip]

A study was published 1-2 months ago to show how much Web traffic was 'junk'
(zombie spew). I'm not sure where to find it.

- --
                ~~ Best of wishes

"Linux is a very complete and sophisticated operating system. And there is a
lot of work being done to improve it in and of itself, particularly to make it
easier to use and easier for people to set up on their personal computers."
                --Paul Maritz, Microsoft