[News] EPO Sneaks Out from Use of the Word "Software"

EPO says the term "software" is ambiguous and prefers to use tautology for more
clarity

,----[ Quote ]
| Maybe the European Patent Office has a different dictionary than I have.
|
| [...]
|
| Nevertheless, their high quality propaganda falls down once you start to
| mention some trivial software patents, such as the progress bar:
|
| [...]
|
| or the contextual menu granted to Philips:
`----

http://www.digitalmajority.org/forum/t-76937/epo-says-the-term-software-is-ambiguous-and-prefers-to-use-tautology-for-more-clarity

Write patents, get tax cuts

,----[ Quote ]
|     As of 1 January 2008, the Belgian government introduced a tax deduction
|     of 80 % with unlimited carry forward under the corporate income tax for
|     income derived from patents licensed by a company based in Belgium.
|
| Now, who said patents are bad? They make you save 80% on taxes. How on earth
| can it be bad?
`----

http://mikhailian.livejournal.com/23009.html

Recent:

EU Says Governments Could Bar Microsoft From Bidding

,----[ Quote ]
| Governments contracting IT work could conclude that Microsoft's antitrust
| history constitutes "grave professional misconduct" and ban the company,
| according to the European Commission.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/147175/eu_says_governments_could_bar_microsoft_from_bidding.html

EU: Europarlement testing Ubuntu, OpenOffice and Firefox

,----[ Quote ]
| The European Parliament's IT department is testing the use of GNU/Linux
| distribution Ubuntu, OpenOffice, Firefox and other Open Source applications,
| the British MEP James Nicholson explained last week in a letter to Italian
| MEP Marco Cappato.
`----

http://ec.europa.eu/idabc/en/document/7565

Is Microsoft Now Banned from EU Contracts?

http://www.computerworlduk.com/toolbox/open-source/blogs/index.cfm?entryid=697&blogid=14

EC probes OOXML standards-setting process

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/04/04/ooxml_ec_investigation_iso/