[News] [Rival] Microsoft Rapes Open Source, Then Buys Flowers

Is Microsoft really any more trustworthy?

,----[ Quote ]
| You see some people still believe that Microsoft offering patented protocols
| under “reasonable and non-discriminatory terms,” or “for free for
| noncommercial use without fear of lawsuits” is somehow some kind of olive
| branch to the open-source community.
|
| As Tiemann put it: “A free-of-cost license that prohibits commercial use is
| useless to open-source developers. And therefore I cannot understand why
| anybody would think that Microsoft is doing the open-source community any
| favors.”
|
| He’s got that right.
`----

http://practical-tech.com/development/is-microsoft-really-any-more-trustworthy/

Could Microsoft actually be getting an open-source clue?

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://blogs.computerworld.com/could_microsoft_actually_be_getting_an_open_source_clue

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2008-07-28-016-35-NW-MS-0002

,----[ Quote ]
| Fourth, it means MS wants to seed the Apache Group with Code that they will
| attach their IP to. This way, they can extract funds from users in the
| future, with their contributions.
|
| Is it a good deal for Apache? In the short term, it provides them with cash.
| Is it a good deal for MS? Of course, it gives them access to a code base and
| hopefully developers they desperately need. Is it good for the development
| and user community? NO!!! Why not? It means MS is once again employing their
| extend, embrace, and extinguish paradigm, which has worked so well for them
| in the past.
`----

http://www.linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2008-07-28-016-35-NW-MS-0001

Recent:

A Patent Lie

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft sang a very different tune in 1991. In a memo to his
| senior executives, Bill Gates wrote, "If people had understood how
| patents would be granted when most of today's ideas were invented,
| and had taken out patents, the industry would be at a complete
| standstill today." Mr. Gates worried that "some large company will
| patent some obvious thing" and use the patent to "take as much of
| our profits as they want."
`----

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/09/opinion/09lee.html

Microsoft’s deceptive advertising, again.

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://dthomasdigital.wordpress.com/2008/05/28/microsofts-deceptive-advertising-again/