Re: [News] Foxconn Reported to FTC for Sabotage Against Linux

* Martha Adams peremptorily fired off this memo:

> This is the same idea as your Web browser can tell
> the other party you're using Windows software; and I
> expect a fix will be published shortly.
>
> But a better fix, is to publish how one identifies a
> Foxconn motherboard so that everyone can know these
> boards are defective and don't buy them.  *That*
> should get the mfr's attention as well as be very
> useful information to everyone.
>
> The interesting question this raises is, is Microsoft
> the instigator of this scheme?  Where else are they
> doing this to us?  ??
>
> And, it shows Microsoft products cannot stand on their,
> uh, merits; and Microsoft knows it.

Well, corporate stupidity or developer laziness/stupidity are still
possible explanations.  I personally don't suspect that Microsoft or
Intel had any direct hand in it.

My Dell laptop has an issue when I boot to the DSL (Damn Small Linux)
that's part of Billix.  The author of that package, Bill Childers sent
me an email indicating to use the "acpi=off" option, and that did the
trick for me.

--
This night methinks is but the daylight sick.
		-- William Shakespeare, "The Merchant of Venice"