[News] FSF Pressures Apple and Users to End DRM

Ask Apple about the iPhone

,----[ Quote ]
| Services like Amazon, eMusic, Napster, Rhapsody, Play.com and 7digital are
| all selling music without DRM. A typical response to this might be that Apple
| has no option to sell media without DRM, but this is simply untrue. Jobs is
| the largest individual shareholder at Disney, and he could insist that its
| films be DRM-free. Apple should be leading the way to promote DRM-free music,
| but instead is lagging behind. What is Apple doing to fix this? If it really
| is the RIAA's fault, can you tell me specifically what the RIAA said to Jobs
| when he asked for the ability to sell DRM-free music?
`----

http://www.defectivebydesign.org/apple-challenge

Apple fights for DRM. They are liars, too (see below).

Recent:

iTunes legal silences Hymn

,----[ Quote ]
| Apple has fired a cease and desist order against the developers behind the
| open-source Hymn Project.
|
| Hymn develops software that strips Apple's FairPlay digital rights management
| (DRM) technology from user's iTunes purchases, allowing music fans to play
| their music on devices other than those from Apple.
`----

http://www.macworld.co.uk/ipod-itunes/news/index.cfm?newsid=20538&pagtype=allchandate

Flash Finally Restored in Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Unfortunately, I lost all my songs in the great crash and DRM prevents me
| from transferring the songs back on to my computer from the Ipod.
| Fortunately, Pandora is not only a solution to my problem but is also an
| improvement.
`----

http://theoryoforangitivity.blogspot.com/2008/02/flash-finally-restored-in-linux.html

Related:

A Linux User's Perspective on the ITunes Store (and DRM in General)

,----[ Quote ]
| What if tomorrow you went to Best Buy or Walmart or Sam Goody and purchased a
| CD? What if, before you left the store, the salesman told you that although
| the CD was in all other respects a standard CD, that you could only play it
| if you owned a Pioneer or Sony stereo? Would that make any sense? Would it
| make you a bit hesitant about buying music from that store again?
|
| Well, if you purchase music or videos from the iTunes Store,
|
| [...]
|
| With content from the iTunes Store, however, users may find themselves a bit
| stuck if they ever want to make the switch to a more open computing platform,
| such as Linux. Because none of the DRM-restricted content from the iTunes
| Store will play on Linux. And it's all because that's how Apple wants it, to
| be honest, and not because of any technical limitation.
`----

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/324936/a_linux_users_perspective_on_the_itunes.html

Apple's latest trick to enforce digital rights

`----

http://archive.gulfnews.com/articles/07/06/09/10131156.html