[News] Hosting Centered Around Linux and FOSS

Hosting Companies & Open Source a "Match Made in Heaven"

,----[ Quote ]
| The CEO of the leading provider of open source groupware asserts that hosting
| companies, telcos, and Internet companies can benefit from open source
| programs delivered in the SaaS (Software as a Service) model to their
| customers.
`----

http://www.tophosts.com/articles/007619.html

Recent:

Recognition, and Influence on the Future of Open Source Technologies

,----[ Quote ]
| A midyear review of the initiatives underway at the all-volunteer Foundation
| showed that not only does the Apache HTTP Server continue to be the world's
| most popular Web server software, but numerous ASF Projects lead the way in
| Open Source technology, and the ASF community is also playing a vital role in
| championing the collaborative development of consensus-driven,
| enterprise-grade solutions.
`----

http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/the-apache-software-foundations-apache,436557.shtml

Is Apache the Greatest Open Source Project?

,----[ Quote ]
| That partial list of fascinating applications shows how far Apache has come
| from its origins as a few patches to pre-existing code. It is not only –
| still - the pre-eminent Web server, it is also a large-scale meta-project
| that seems able to managed dozens of subsidiary projects with astonishing
| ease.
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/toolbox/open-source/blogs/index.cfm?blogid=14&entryid=904

Social-networking site keeps Apache atop Web server market

,----[ Quote ]
| Research firm says open-source software extended lead over Microsoft's IIS in
| February
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php?id=1569609646&rid=-50

Open Source Booms as ApacheCon Europe 2008 Pulls in Record Crowds

,----[ Quote ]
| This figure represents an increase of more than 40% over the previous year,
| demonstrating the rapidly growing interest in Open Source software amongst
| European businesses.
`----

http://www.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20080429005160&newsLang=en

Related:

Apache increases market share in web server survey

,----[ Quote ]
| Netcraft's web researchers counted 155,583,825 sites in January, which is
| 354,000 more than in December.
`----

http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/102947/from/rss09

Apache gains Yahoo! sponsorship

,----[ Quote ]
| Yahoo! has become a platinum sponsor of the Apache Software Foundation, which
| supports the Apache web server and other open source projects.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/15792/1054/

2007 earns Apache more feathers in its cap

,----[ Quote ]
| Open source and all-volounteer group, the Apache Software Foundation (ASF),
| today announced that last year finished as its strongest yet. Not only does
| this indicate just what most already know - that open source is growing from
| strength to strength - but also that it doesn’t take big money and a
| for-profit attitude for this to happen.
`----

http://www.tectonic.co.za/?p=2039

Apache gains market share

,----[ Quote ]
| Anyway, in the November statistic Apache grew by 3% (1.29% active sites)
| while IIS lost 1.29% (1.05%). There is no explanation given by Netcraft and
| there has been no big news about any change of some big host or something
| similar (these percent points equal millions of sites!). So this might be
| just a statistical disturbance - or indeed a change of direction. Time will
| tell.
`----

http://liquidat.wordpress.com/2007/12/03/apache-gains-market-share/

Open Source Fights Back

,----[ Quote ]
| Question: The OpenSourceParking.com announcement cites a Netcraft
| report, which found that GoDaddy.com's migration from Linux to Windows
| caused Apache to lose server share. Was this event the sole impetus
| for OpenSourceParking.com?
|
| Perens: Not the first. It's part of a continuing behavior pattern by
| Microsoft that I think it's fair to call "dirty fighting." GoDaddy was
| using Apache (I assume on Linux) because it was a great technical
| solution. They didn't switch to IIS on Windows Server 2003 for any
| technical reason. The switch was accompanied by a press release by
| GoDaddy, containing Microsoft promotional language. Now, I've changed
| many servers from one thing to another, but I've never made a press
| release about it. GoDaddy wouldn't be doing that unless Microsoft had
| offered them something valuable in return. There has been talk in the
| domain business that Microsoft has been offering the large domain
| registries a wad of cash to switch their parked sites. There is no
| other reason to do this than to influence the Netcraft figures.
`----

http://www.itbusinessedge.com/item/?ci=15108

Open source rising

,----[ Quote ]