Re: [News] [Rival] Windows XP Support Seems Dead

Verily I say unto thee, that High Plains Thumper spake thusly:
> DFS wrote:
>> Homer wrote:

>>> Please provide proof of this supposed "hypocrisy" or shut the
>>> fuck up.
>>
>> That would be where you slimed down to Nigeria to actively help
>> pollute the country

Please explain how an offshore gas (as in natural gas) storage and
production facility "pollutes" the country?

Idiot.

It's doubtful that any of that gas even made it ashore in Nigeria, much
less into the atmosphere. Most of it seemed destined for Europe. And
there certainly weren't any billowing clouds of black smoke, as with
certain Gates-sponsored facilities. Not that any billowing clouds would
have even been noticed hundreds of miles offshore.

If you're going to accuse me of "polluting the country" just because I
installed some software, then you might as well accuse the rest of the
world of "polluting the country" by using cars or buying plastic goods.
Supporting the petroleum industry is something that virtually impossible
to avoid, one way or another. Does this fact mean that I actively
/support/ pollution? What am I supposed to do, live in a cave?

The thing about work, DooFuS, is that you go where you're told to, and
do what you're told to. Am I responsible for the clients my employer
chooses to do business with? In the UK the offshore industry is the
biggest contractor of IT services. Trying to avoid offshore work in the
UK (or overseas from UK operators) is like trying to avoid getting wet
in a thunderstorm.

The point that you continue to avoid, like an ostrich sticking its head
in the sand, is that dissenting against a condition of the environment
in which one lives is /not/ hypocrisy. Unless one completely extracts
oneself from the environment which one dissents against, and goes and
lives like a hermit in a cave somewhere, then there is simply no way to
exist without being exposed to undesirable elements of that environment,
at one time or another. I can still /dissent/ against them. Merely
continuing to live in that environment is /not/ hypocrisy.

>> by helping with proprietary oil drilling software

Why do you persist in investing fantasies about that which you obviously
know nothing?

As I've already indicted in past responses to your inane drivel, this
/bespoke/ solution comprised mostly Free Software, none of which was
written by me. The fact that a small portion of the solution comprised
proprietary software does not mean that I somehow now magically advocate
non-Free software, it merely indicates that I did the job I was
instructed to do by my employer.

In much the same way that I am forced to pay the "IP" tax on things like
music and videos, I have to live with /other people's/ decisions to use
non-Free solutions. That doesn't mean I /support/ those decisions. How
does that make me a "hypocrite", exactly?

>> then tried to indict the Gates Foundation for

You must be confusing me with Charles Piller, Edmund Sanders and Robyn
Dixon of the Los Angeles Times:

[quote]
Ebocha, Nigeria — Justice Eta, 14 months old, held out his tiny thumb.

An ink spot certified that he had been immunized against polio and
measles, thanks to a vaccination drive supported by the Bill & Melinda
Gates Foundation.

But polio is not the only threat Justice faces. Almost since birth, he
has had respiratory trouble. His neighbors call it "the cough." People
blame fumes and soot spewing from flames that tower 300 feet into the
air over a nearby oil plant. It is owned by the Italian petroleum giant
Eni, whose investors include the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.
[quote]

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-gatesx07jan07,0,6827615.story

So were the LA Times staff writers /lying/ then?

>> merely investing in the publicly traded stock of companies that do
>> the same.

As a supposedly charitable foundation dedicated to curing illnesses in
places like Nigeria, one would assume the Gates Foundation would engage
in the practise of ethical investments, rather than invest in the same
companies that cause those illnesses in the first place.

But perhaps that's expecting too much from gangsters like Gates.

>> That would be where you continue to use Windows, but froth at the
>> mouth about MS being "terrorists" and "killers".

I can count on the fingers of ... well, one finger actually, the number
of times I've used Windows in the past year, and it was not a successful
encounter (it essentially crashed playing ET:QW).

First of all, I refer you to the above explanation, which you hopefully
understand by now, that dissenting against something that one uses is
/not/ hypocrisy. I made a pretty big stink over on the Fedora devel
mailing list recently, but I still continue to /use/ Fedora. Does that
somehow make me a hypocrite? Heck, /you/ claim to use Linux, and yet you
do nothing /but/ whine about it. So by your own definition /you/ are
therefore a hypocrite.

Yes, Microsoft are gangsters; racketeers; and terrorists (in the literal
sense that they use terror as a weapon to achieve their goals, ref:
patent FUD and slurs of "cancer"). Therefore that is sufficient reason
for me to not want to use their software. What I /want/ and what I
/need/ are not always the same thing however. If there was a means to
update the firmware on things like the mobo BIOS and DVD drives, without
resorting to using Windows, then believe me I'd wipe it in a heartbeat.
But again, it isn't exactly my /choice/ that mobo or DVD manufacturers
don't provide this software for Linux. Therefore how can I be held
accountable for that situation? How does that make me a "hypocrite"?

As for me "frothing" about them being killers, well stories like the
following are enough to make /anyone/ "froth":

[quote]
Microsoft Xbox Kills Baby

    The family's "losses and damages, if any, resulted from misuse or
    abuse of the Xbox console at issue," Microsoft claimed in court
    papers filed Friday.

"If any"?

"If any?"

Does the death of a child not constitute a "loss" in Microsoft's eyes?

    Microsoft is asking the court to dismiss the suit and order Kline's
    family to pay for its legal costs.

Evil bastards.
[/quote]

http://slated.org/microsoft_kills_baby

AFAIAC, unless there is actually any evidence to the contrary, Microsoft
is culpable of manslaughter.

How does that make me a "hypocrite"?

>> That would be where you use proprietary technology whenever it's
>> convenient, but rail against it at night.

What "proprietary technology" do I use exactly, DooFy, beyond my once a
year foray into Windows to perform BIOS updates?

And yes, I "rail against it", because restrictive licensing is wrong,
and Microsoft's Slopware is a disaster. As I've already told you,
several times now, what little I do use Windows I do so /unwillingly/.

Please explain how me being unwillingly forced to use Windows once a
year is "hypocrisy"?

>> That would be where you label me greedy, but the other side of your
>>  mouth brays "I am one of the few who agrees to those types of
>> contracts, which make contractors like me a scarce commodity (and
>> therefore, very well paid)."

Do you actually know what greed is, you raving fuckwit?

Here, let me help you out:

"excessive or rapacious desire, esp. for wealth or possessions."

"is definitely uncomplimentary in implication: His greed drove him to
exploit his workers."

"An excessive desire to acquire or possess more than what one needs or
deserves, especially with respect to material wealth"

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=greed

The key elements here are that greed is:

1) Excessive
2) Hoarding
3) Exploitative
4) Undeserving
5) Depriving

What Microsoft does (and you, by all accounts) is /greed/, because they
exploit others (lock-in deals) for excessive profits (how many Billions
does one company need anyway?), by depriving other companies (monopoly)
from operating in the same market, and hoard that market to themselves
(can't coexist, must "embrace, extent and extinguish"). Other than being
efficient at destroying other companies, Microsoft has no redeeming
features whatsoever (certainly their products don't either), so it is
reasonable to conclude that they are entirely undeserving of that
excessive wealth.

OTOH /my/ "greed" comprised me simply working and getting "very well
paid". I didn't try to monopolise the IT consultancy trade, I didn't try
to "fscking kill" other consultants, I didn't try to deprive every other
consultant in the industry of contracts, I didn't exploit my clients
with secretive Memoranda of Understanding that forbids them from dealing
with other contractors, and AFAIK nothing I have ever worked on
subsequently caught fire and killed a baby, but if it had then you can
be damned sure that I wouldn't have had the gall to stand up in court
and say that the complainant's "loss, if any" was his own fault, and
then demand legal costs.

Just "being paid", well or otherwise, is not /greed/, DooFuS. Please
tell me you understand the difference between money and the /means/ by
which that money is made.

>> You're a sick fraud and a hypocrite.

Oh I'm no hypocrite DooFuS, but I am sick ... sick of /you/.

You are the most twisted fuck I've ever encountered, by a /long/ way.
You "evangelise" for a company that is essentially a bunch of gangsters
whose only business strategy is racketeering, and whose software is the
bane of millions of people's existence, mainly due to the fact that it
is force fed to them by bent OEMs taking backhanders from the Vole, but
also due to it's interminable instability and pathetic security that is
the cause of virus epidemics and zombie botnets the world over.

Microsoft, and their evil twin Intel, sabotage charities, and rampage
throughout the industry like Attila the Hun, destroying everything that
stands in their way. Whilst Pearly's pet monkey Ballmer throws chairs at
employees desperately fleeing Microsoft, then runs off to secret
boiler-room meetings where he threatens to knife babies; tip companies
into death spirals; cut off people air supply; and fscking kill anyone
who doesn't bow to his iron will.

Then for an encore, Ballmer terrorises the Free Software community with
unfounded allegations and threats of patents; compensation obligations;
and undisclosed balance sheet liabilities, whilst holding hands under
the table with that other evil bastard Icahn, as they whisper vile plans
to attack the nearest thing they have to competition (Google) by
sabotaging yet another company (Yahoo) to make Microsoft's position in
the market stronger.

And the absolutely worst thing about all of this DooFus, is that these
evil bastards not only do these vile things with complete impunity, but
they even get /support/ ... from "people" like you.

> Microsoft Evangelism philosophy:

Three words: Kill, kill, kill.

--
K.
http://slated.org

.----
| "The idea that Bill Gates has appeared like a knight in shining
| armour to lead all customers out of a mire of technological chaos
| neatly ignores the fact that it was he who, by peddling second-rate
| technology, led them into it in the first place." ~ Douglas Adams

 05:31:09 up 213 days,  2:06,  4 users,  load average: 3.90, 3.99, 3.08