Re: [News] GNU/Linux Supercomputer Breaks Record

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/09/technology/09petaflops.html?_r=1&ref=technology&pagewanted=print&oref=slogin

http://news.com.com/2100-1006_3-6115225.html?part=rss&tag=6115225&subj=news

>>> Maybe that's good for video editing/rendering. There's not much that
>>> requires so much power and can't be shifted to a server (controlled from
>>> the desktop/terminal). For gaming there's the PS3.
>>>

>> It just occurred to me... if IBM were to start selling Cell powered
>> desktops... it would usher in a new wave of hardware upgrades... the
>> likes of which you never saw before. Once Average Joe gets a taste of
>> Cell and Linux... the WINTEL group would begin to freeze in Hell... AMD
>> too. Seem's to me that IBM has an ace in the hole. The big question is,
>> why and what are they waiting for?
>
> It's absolutely amazing how you are so smart and everyone who works at IBM
> is so stupid. The CEO of IBM should fire a few thousand people and replace
> them all with just you, the linux advocate who posts to COLA. Clearly
> everyone who works at IBM is completely incompetent bordering on retarded
> because not a single one of the thousands of IBM employees is able to come
> up with this same "brilliant" idea that took you all of 15-seconds to
> discover.

If you insist. But it does make for interesting discussion. Imagine having
the fastest cpu on earth and not promoting it for common usage. What would
be driving the decision makers at IBM... right now... for not pushing or at
the least hawking the Cell for desktops or laptops? Last I read, the Cell
would make a decent laptop processor too.

A Cell desktop, running any flavor of Cell aware linux, would be the
ultimate desktop computer. Imagine... finger click and anything you want
done on your desktop is done.. Little to no waiting for processes... just
results. No, Roy. There is a niche market (at the least) that would buy it.
me being on potential customer.

--

Jerry McBride (jmcbride@xxxxxxxxxx)