[News] New Books on Free Software for Culture, Response to Corporare Control

It’s a book! Two Bits

,----[ Quote ]
| The book is called Two Bits: The Cultural Significance of Free Software, and
| it is produced by the punkrockingest press ever, Duke University Press. It is
| now available for purchase, for download and for derivation and remixing.

Networking Futures: The Movements against Corporate Globalization

,----[ Quote ]
| Since the first worldwide protests inspired by Peoples’ Global Action (PGA)—
| including the mobilization against the November 1999 World Trade Organization
| meetings in Seattle—anti–corporate globalization activists have staged direct
| action protests against multilateral institutions in cities such as Prague,
| Barcelona, Genoa, and Cancun.

Embattled ACTA Negotiations Next Week In Geneva; US Sees Signing This Year

,----[ Quote ]
| Criticism from NGOs
| Canadian law expert David Fewer, staff counsel at the University of Ottawa’s
| Canadian Internet Policy and Public Interest Clinic, told the Ottawa Citizen
| that the discussion paper was very close to a potential Christmas wish-list
| by Hollywood companies.
| Knowledge Ecology International (KEI), in an earlier statement filed to USTR,
| warned against a lack in differentiation and clearness of core terms, like
| counterfeiting, infringement or piracy. “Is Microsoft a “pirate” for
| insisting on the right to continue to infringe the z4 patents in order to use
| an infringing DRM technology to protect Microsoft software itself from
| infringement by unauthorised uses?” KEI asked in its statement.

The British Library - "The world's knowledge" DRM'd and for a price

,----[ Quote ]
| DRM is part of the plan, and I encourage you to read the entire Microsoft
| document. It would make my grandmother roll over in her grave. Some of the
| librarians at the British Library are deeply troubled too about what DRM is
| doing to libraries. How will we access the materials if the DRM company goes
| out of business someday?
| If they duplicate what they have done at the British Library, I think it's
| fair to say that it is the death of public libraries as we have known them,
| and the world's knowledge will be available only DRM'd and for a price.
| P.S. DRM doesn't work.
| It won't block any serious criminals.
| All it does is annoy and degrade the honest
| ... and give monopolies a way to stay that way.

Microsoft: We Like DRM

,----[ Quote ]