[News] Acer Officially Unveils Its GNU/Linux Laptop, Positive Outlook Ensues

Acer introduces Aspire one, its first low-cost notebook

,----[ Quote ]
| "From now on, Wang said," I call on all key component suppliers to fully
| support the requirement of all segments, instead of trying to keep certain
| predefined average selling prices of notebook PCs." "It’s time to listen to
| the requirements and demands of the market instead of controlling it."
|
| [...]
|
| At just 24 X 17 cm and weighing less than one kilo, Aspire one is equipped
| with Linpus Linux Lite operating system, designed to get one online in no
| time at all, with start up and shut down times reduced to the minimum. Its
| simple, intuitive Linux interface clearly organizes everything one needs in
| order to surf, work or simply have fun. The pre-installed software is
| separated by functions and presented in four distinct areas on the screen –
| Connect, Works, Fun and Files. Moreover, the simplicity continues with the
| intuitive and specifically optimized software interface that runs Aspire one.
| For example the specially developed one Mail software application allows the
| management of up to six separate email accounts in a single window while the
| Messenger program can simultaneously handle the most popular instant
| messaging accounts and can be used with the integrated video camera for
| instant video-chats and video conferences.
`----

http://www.mb.com.ph/INFO20080609126833.html

Crystal Ball Sunday #4: Linux and System Builders and Integrators

,----[ Quote ]
| Welcome to another edition of Crystal Ball Sunday! This week my predictions
| center around system builders and integrators and their use of Linux to lower
| costs, standardize hardware offerings, and provide a new systems to buyers
| that are ready to go to work.
|
| Acer has already discussed Linux being the key to the low-cost laptop market.
| Most major laptop system builders realize that Linux is the key to maximizing
| usability while minimizing costs. Laptop computer have a short life and
| buyers just aren't willing to pay huge dollars for them. They are basically
| seen as throw-away units with a projected life expectancy of 2 to 3 years.
| The use of Linux will likely extend the life expectancy of hardware that
| lasts beyond the 3 year mark since its hardware requirements are far less
| than that of Windows.

Last week:

Acer bets big on Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Acer has stated that it will be pushing Linux aggressively on its laptops and
| netbooks.
`----

http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2218172/acer-pushes-linux-hard

Recent:

Microsoft sees slide in profits

Feeling the heat at Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.news.com/Feeling-the-heat-at-Microsoft/2008-1012_3-6232458.html?tag=ne.fd.mnbc

| Financial Times Deutschland on Monday.

| Lenovo.

http://www.techworld.com/opsys/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=9579

Man wins damages from Acer over Windows refund

,----[ Quote ]