[News] Transparency to Prevent Microsoft Shenanigans from Ruining ODF Committee

Eyeballs Needed for ODF

,----[ Quote ]
| I can tell you that from what I know, and I know a fair amount, that X marks
| the spot where a lot of eyeballs are needed. I have no doubt that Microsoft
| wishes to use ODF for its own purposes, and I know for a fact that some kind
| of liaison is what some who seem to me to be happily doing whatever Microsoft
| wants have been hoping for, namely some mechanism for ODF to coordinate with
| SC34 in ISO that would operate a bit like the relationship between the
| Unicode Consortium and JTC 1/SC 2, who jointly maintain the Unicode standard.
|
| [...]
|
| This is the moment to pay full attention, if this is something you care about
| and you wish to avoid the Microsoft EEE. Stay polite at all times, of course,
| if you say anything, and you needn't say anything, but do follow along and
| please keep us posted on anything you see that sounds peculiar. I'll try to
| do the same.

Microsoft OOXML opponents won’t back down

,----[ Quote ]
| If Microsoft wants its standard to stand on equal footing with the ODF, it
| needs to stop embedding closed binary objects in the Office format, and stop
| treating it as proprietary.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=2509

Recent:

A Reminder: ISO's Code of Ethics & What Happens Next

,----[ Quote ]
| Or in plainer English, they very same folks who brought you OOXML will decide
| if they did a good job.
|
| OOXML, the apparently unusable standard that not only we, the public, are not
| allowed to see, but National Bodies have yet to see, despite a set deadline
| in the rules for them to have it in hand. How odd that it would not be
| published prior to the deadline for appeals to be filed. Does that mean the
| deadline isn't really the deadline, since other so-called deadlines have
| proven so squishy? I don't know, but it makes logical sense that it's
| unreasonable to expect appeals to be filed regarding a format whose final
| draft folks haven't seen.
|
| Hence, a reminder of the stated principles in ISO's Code of Ethics about due
| process and transparency, as well as a reminder that the whole world is
| watching.

A Memo to Patrick Durusau

,----[ Quote ]

`----