Re: [News] New Attempts to Subvert EU Patent Law with Software Patents

____/ Mark Kent on Friday 06 June 2008 22:03 : \____

>> ____/ Homer on Friday 06 June 2008 09:02 : \____
>>
>>> Verily I say unto thee, that Mark Kent spake thusly:

>>> [...]
>>>
>>> The Symbian case marks the end of Britain's software patent-free
>>> sanctuary. With all that pressure (read: lobbying, i.e. bribery)
>>> from Intellectual Monopolists, it was bound to happen eventually.
>>>
>>> The implication for GNU/Linux seems increasingly dire. Where are
>>> distros going to host their patent encumbered packages now?
>>>
>>> China?
>>>
>>> Soon Fuddie's assertion that playing DVDs under Linux is illegal
>>> may actually become true everywhere, and not just in the United
>>> States of Advertising.
>>>
>>> The day the Intellectual Monopolists seize total control of the
>>> Free Software community, will be the day I stop using computers.
>>
>> There's still a good chance of implosion. It's not as grim as you put it.
>> Honest.
>>

> We need a proper, parliamentary debate on this.  One where we have well
> briefed politicians.  Perhaps we could persuade Dr Pugh to pick this one
> up?  Maybe I should raise this with Mark T.

There will soon be a protest in Belgium or France. July or September.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | One, Two, Free Open Source Software (FOSS)
 13:20:02 up 53 days, 11:32,  5 users,  load average: 0.32, 0.83, 1.47