[News] Wine 1.0 at Release Candidate 4

Wine 1.0rc4

,----[ Quote ]
| This is release 1.0-rc4 of Wine, a free implementation of Windows on Unix.
|
| What's new in this release (see below for details):
|   - Bug fixes only, we are in code freeze.
|
| Because of lags created by using mirrors, this message may reach you
| before the release is available at the public sites.
`----

http://www.winehq.org/?announce=1.0-rc4

Recent:

No Windows? Use Linux, Intel Macs for PC Gaming with CrossOver

,----[ Quote ]
| Sure, Mac gaming is becoming less of an oxymoron these days, but if you want
| to game with a keyboard, Windows is still the way to go. Fortunately,
| Codeweavers' has concocted a solution for those who want the PC gaming
| experience on Mac (and Linux!) without using Boot Camp or partitioning
| drives. Introducing CrossOver Games.
`----

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/05/23/no-windows-use-linux-intel-macs-for-pc-gaming-with-crossover/
http://tinyurl.com/3tc2mk

Windows is on its Last Legs!?

,----[ Quote ]
| Sound insane to you? I invite you to check Amazon’s Bestsellers: The most
| popular items in Computers and PC Hardware list. As I write this, on the
| evening of April 13th, eight of the top 25 sellers are Linux-powered Asus Eee
| UMPCs (Ultra Mobile PCs) and there’s also the Linux-fueled Nokia N800 tablet
| for a total of nine Linux systems. There are also seven Mac models on the
| list, topped by the Apple MacBook MB403LL/A 13.3-inch; Laptop. Finally,
| beneath almost all the Linux PCs and all of the Macs, you’ll find four, count
| em four, Vista-powered laptops.
`----

http://practical-tech.com/operating-system/linux/windows-is-on-its-last-legs/

The making of Wine (how to make Windows apps merrier with Linux)

,----[ Quote ]
| Flash forward to today. It's been the better part of a decade and Microsoft
| has not been toppled by anyone's reckoning. However it did release Vista -
| perhaps the most hated Windows operating system of all time (though it's hard
| to beat Windows ME on that count). Enterprises badly want alternatives to
| Windows. Desktop Linux has come a long way since 1999, too. and (who knew?)
| the Mac has become the ultra chic, must-have PC. The enterprise has its
| alternatives - if it can only get those mission critical Windows apps to work
| flawlessly. Wine, in its commercial form, has been doing so for years.
|
| So, in 2008, the 1.0 version will hit the streets and the timing could not be
| more perfect. White admits that not every Windows application will work
| flawlessly on Wine, but many a critical one for the enterprise has been
| specifically optimized.
`----

http://www.networkworld.com/community/node/26915

Related:

Does WINE + Linux support more Windows apps than Vista?

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://jagtalon.wordpress.com/2007/04/30/does-wine-linux-support-more-apps-than-vista/