[News] Linux on Many 'Desktops' Just a Matter of Time

How long will it be before Linux is on your desktop (if it isn’t already)?

,----[ Quote ]
| I almost have sugarplums dancing in my head over the possibility of being
| able to reduce hardware and power costs by moving to a solution like the
| Wind. The unfortunate part is that any such solution would have to meet the
| base-level user test, which I have not felt good about with any of the
| options in the past. I will be testing some of the new Linux distributions,
| and I truly hope that I feel comfortable running a test like that with one or
| two of my users. Have you started evaluating or rolling out non-Wintel
| solutions for the desktop?
`----

http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/helpdesk/?p=233

Why must everything be newbie-friendly?

,----[ Quote ]
| Like I said, everyone finds their own level with Linux. People asking for a
| newbie-friendly version of a distro are asking a foreign community to adopt a
| new culture — one that is more convenient to them. To me, that sounds out of
| place, and possibly out of line.
|
| If you’re not ready for Arch as it is, then you should stick with what you
| know. One day your desire will outstrip your ability and you’ll learn a lot
| of new things. But until gumption exceeds know-how, it’s best to leave other
| people’s distros the way they are, and learn their customs when you’re ready.
`----

http://kmandla.wordpress.com/2008/06/05/why-must-everything-be-newbie-friendly/

Simplicity, Eee PC-style:

Desktop Environments: The Past and The Future

,----[ Quote ]
| The solution of Linpus is based on XFCE and uses five desktops. That are
| accordingly: Internet, Work, Learn, Play and Settings. Unfortunately the
| distribution is “speaking” to us only in English, Chinese or Japanese, so no
| luck for international users. Other than in SymphonyOS, Linpus has a taskbar,
| which seems to be more comfortable, because of the possibility to switch
| between running applications. And if the user is not used to such a solution,
| he can always switch the environment to the traditional XFCE. Not to mention
| that the Asian system has a lot more aesthetic values than Symphony, but well
| — the company has invested much more means into it.
`----

http://polishlinux.org/apps/window-managers/desktop-environments-the-past-and-the-future/

Related:

2007's most important IT lesson is spelled with an Eee

,----[ Qote ]
`----

http://community.zdnet.co.uk/blog/0,1000000567,10006830o-2000331777b,00.htm?new_comment