Re: [News] Benchmark: World's Fastest Modern Web Browser is Free Software

> ____/ Linonut on Monday 19 May 2008 12:43 : \____
>
>> * Roy Schestowitz peremptorily fired off this memo:
>>
>>> Firefox 3.0 RC 1 takes the lead on speed
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>> `----
>>>
>>> http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=1887
>>
>> Good thing Microsoft is working on IE 8, as IE 7 stinks, speedwise, in
>> this guy's comparison.
>>
>>> Firefox 3 Memory Usage
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]

>>> `----
>>>
>>> http://blog.pavlov.net/2008/03/11/firefox-3-memory-usage/
>>
>> I'm glad, because Firefox 2 is one of the slower, bloated Linux apps I'm
>> using right now.
>
> Same here, and I have only 256 MB of RAM at home (512 MB at work). I typically
> have lots of plugins enabled, which doesn't help.
>
> Firefox is not a Web browser. It's a wonderful toolbox, at least for me
> (extensions make it so). Same with Thunderbird and Konqueror (for file
> management, FTP, photo management, gallery creation, PDF viewing, KIO slaves
> with Kate and whatnot).
>
> The Linux desktop is a wonderful thing, but the problem is that many people
> judge it without actually knowing what lies inside (a shallow look teaches
> nothing).

You're right, Firefox is more of a flexible environment than a web
browser in many respects, although I do like it very much.   It would be
good to be able to keep the flexibility without losing the plugin
support.

--
| mark at ellandroad dot demon dot co dot uk                           |
| Open platforms prevent vendor lock-in.  Own your Own services!       |