[News] Patrick Durusau Misinforms While Microsoft Fights Against Standards

A Memo to Patrick Durusau (Part Deux)

,----[ Quote ]
| When Patrick Durusau wrote that Microsoft had no opposition to ODF, he was
| indefensibly and gloriously wrong. Those of us involved in national standards
| bodies and on government policy panels have had the dubious honor of having
| to defend against Microsoft's desperate attempts to kill any possible
| introduction of ODF as a voluntary standard.
|
| [...]
|
| Then came along a recent blogpost by Harisfazillah Jamel, "Apabila Membuat
| Pilihan Dipersoalkan / When Choices are Questioned", on the right of
| government agencies to make choices. It's written in Malay, but it has been
| translated by Yoon Kit for the benefit of our international readers. It makes
| for extremely interesting reading on the pressure Microsoft Malaysia is
| placing on a government agency because of their choice to use
| OpenOffice.org/ODF over Microsoft Office:
`----

http://www.openmalaysiablog.com/2008/06/a-memo-to-patri.html

There will be more such letters in weeks to come. A few come from Malaysia now.

"If this unethical behaviour by Microsoft was not sufficiently despicable, they
did the unthinkable by involving politics in what should have been a technical
evaluation of the standard by writing to the head of the Malaysian standards
organization and getting its business partners to engage in a negative letter
writing campaign to indicate lack of support of ODF in the Malaysian market.
<b>Every single negative letter on ODF received by the Malaysian standards
organization was written either by Microsoft, or a Microsoft business partner
or a Microsoft affiliated organization (Initiative for Software Choice and
IASA)"

                A Memo to Patrick Durusau
                http://www.openmalaysiablog.com/2008/06/the-weed-whispe.html

Choice, Innovation and… Appeal?

,----[ Quote ]
| Today, Venezuela filed an appeal against the OOXML standardization process.
| At this stage, one more country appealing will not matter that much, and
| there are some indications that the deadline is over.
|
| [...]
|
| The financial equation they could eventually think about is this one: how
| long is this fight going to last, and looking closer into it, why is the same
| strategy being implemented across the whole set of Microsoft’s technologies,
| namely through XPS vs PDF, SilverLight vs Flash and .Net vs the Internet.
| Rather than fighting competition, pushing competitors to bankruptcy and
| trying to fool around with legislation and processes (such as the ones from
| ISO), perhaps the time has come to embrace the competition, and walk the line
| of the industry. Shareholders have had their fair share of
| Microsoft’s “innovation” and other “ vistasters”.
`----

http://standardsandfreedom.net/index.php/2008/06/03/choice-innovation-and-appeal

Recent:

OpenOffice.org and ODF adoption in Malaysia - thumbs up!

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.bytebot.net/blog/archives/2008/04/27/openofficeorg-and-odf-adoption-in-malaysia-thumbs-up