Re: Another glorious Windows success despite Vista failure

____/ Linonut on Wednesday 04 June 2008 02:53 : \____

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2008/jun08/06-03ComputexPR.mspx?rss_fdn=Press%20Release

>>> Following Success of Windows on Netbooks, Microsoft Extends Windows
>>> Offering to Nettop Devices More than 20 OEMs are delivering Windows
>>> solutions on their netbook devices.
>>>
>>> TAIPEI, Taiwan — June 3, 2008 — Today at Computex, Microsoft Corp.
>>> announced that following the success of Windows on netbooks, the
>>> Windows offering is being extended to include nettop devices.
>>> Netbooks are commonly referred to as ultralow-cost PCs (ULCPCs) and
>>> were originally intended for students and other first-time PC
>>> customers in emerging markets. Nettop refers to desktops that are
>>> ultralow-cost.
>>>
>>> In April, Microsoft announced the worldwide extension of the
>>> availability of Windows for this emerging class of devices that are
>>> primarily used for e-mail, accessing the Internet and instant
>>> messaging, and the company is seeing much demand among industry
>>> partners who want to ensure that customers can have the benefits of
>>> Windows on both new and existing devices.
>
> You left out all the spin, where Microsoft claims
>
>    "Customers and partners have made it clear to us that they want
>    Windows on their netbooks and nettops," said Steven
>    Guggenheimer, corporate vice president of the Original Equipment
>    Manufacturer Division at Microsoft. "We are committed to
>    providing Windows solutions for these devices, helping to ensure a
>    high-quality experience for both our partners and customers."
>
> I'm sure they'll love XP on these small systems.

A few minutes ago I saw (and I kid you not) an article urging people to write
drivers for Windows Vapourware (they deflect attention to hide Vista). This
quote came to mind:

"In the face of strong competition, Evangelism's focus may shift immediately to
the next version of the same technology, however. Indeed, Phase 1 (Evangelism
Starts) for version x+1 may start as soon as this Final Release of version X."

                http://www.groklaw.net/pdf/Comes-3096.pdf

                        Microsoft, internal document

Microsoft is also trying to work on the bad reputation and tarnished name of
its online services. It doesn't exactly know how, but it thinks money can buy
it.

"If you can’t make it good, at least make it look good."

                                Bill Gates, Microsoft

- --
                ~~ Best of wishes

.oʍʇ sɐ buıɥʇ ɥɔns ou s,ǝɹǝɥʇ 'ɹǝpuǝq 'ʎɹɹoʍ ʇ,uop :ʎɹɟ
.oʍʇ ɐ ʍɐs ı ʇɥbnoɥʇ ı puɐ ...ǝɹǝɥʍʎɹǝʌǝ soɹǝz puɐ sǝuo .ɯɐǝɹp 1nɟʍɐ uɐ
ʇɐɥʍ 'ɥɥɥɐ :ɹǝpuǝq