Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Becomes the Next (Stumbling) IBM, Lacks Direction

____/ Homer on Monday 02 June 2008 04:26 : \____

> Verily I say unto thee, that Linonut spake thusly:
>> * Roy Schestowitz peremptorily fired off this memo:
>
>>> Yes, I'm not sure if I mentioned it here or somewhere else, but all
>>> that Windows ME3 vapourware demo (advert) was done by the Fascist
>>> press of the USA (United States of Advertising as some call it).
>>
>> <static>
>>      You're breaking up <static> Roy.
>
> [The drone of a Lancaster bomber's engines]
>
> This is Captain Oveur, over. What's your vector Victor.
>
> He said the United States of Advertising - the Land of Nothing for Free.
>
> Roger, Oveur and out.
>
> [Dam Buster's theme tune]

figure 1: "That's a nice tree. Can I please take a photograph of it?"

figure 2: "That'll be a royalty of $5, sir?"

figure 1: "What about this car?"

figure 2: "Sorry, it's mine. You can't take a photo. Now pay up for that music
which plays in the background."

The scary thing is the power of perception. They are brainwashing children at
the moment. Spotted days ago:

Patent brainwashing in elementary schools (???)

,----[ Quote ]
| Alas! The terrible things they're teaching my children in schools these days,
| probably funded by Microsoft's OnMyWay program!
|
| I went to visit my son's class today, and discovered that they had been
| submitting proposals for patents, their teachers clearly no fans of
| innovation.... :-)
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-9953254-16.html

Microsoft is growing a generation of Ballmer Youth.

Of relevance:

Can Microsoft teach tots digital-age virtue?

,----[ Quote ]
| The basis of Redmond's pitch was a small survey they sponsored where nearly
| half of the kids polled said they were unfamiliar with the rules and
| guidelines of using copyrighted media. Microsoft figured tots would be less
| inclined to steal someone's IP if they knew about the alleged consequences.
|
| A lot of digital ink was used to slam Microsoft's scheme. People need Redmond
| telling them about IP rules like they need Pavorotti schooling them about a
| well-balanced diet.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/02/27/microsoft_ip_curriculum_look/

Threat Of Jail Time Increases Respect For Copyright, Microsoft Says

,----[ Quote ]
| It's not clear whether Microsoft's statement to teen respondents -- "When you
| do not follow these rules you are open to significant fines and possibly jail
| time" -- is entirely accurate, particularly when teens under the age of 18
| are involved. Emily Berger, an intellectual property fellow at the Electronic
| Frontier Foundation, is skeptical. "I think it's being used as a scare
| tactic," she said. "It's a real stretch of the law to say it's theoretically
| possible."
`----

http://informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=206503467

Microsoft training youth to love intellectual property

,----[ Quote ]
| Take, for example, its commitment to help teenagers understand the importance
| of respecting intellectual property (read: giving Microsoft more money). It
| just put out a survey showing that when kids understand the rules of
| copyright, they're "less likely to download illegally."
|
| [...]
|
| The one thing it didn't explain to teens is why they should retrofit
| 20th-century copyright laws onto 21st-century realities. Digitization is a
| fact. The web is a fact. Intellectual property is not the same as real,
| tangible property, and should be treated and monetized differently.
`----

http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9871636-16.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=TheOpenRoad

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    (S)oftware (U)nd (S)ystem(E)ntwicklung
Cpu(s): 24.2%us,  3.6%sy,  1.0%ni, 66.7%id,  4.1%wa,  0.3%hi,  0.1%si,  0.0%st