[News] 2008: Year That GNU/Linux Hit the Windows Desktop

Ulteo Virtual Desktop: Running GNU/Linux in Windows

,----[ Quote ]
| 2008 is shaping up to be the year that GNU/Linux hit the Windows desktop.
| Already the year has seen the first working version of the KDE Windows
| project, Wubi, which installs Ubuntu to an existing Windows filesystem, and
| LiveUSB Creator, a wizard for installing the Fedora distribution to a
| flashdrive from within Windows.
`----

http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/features/article.php/3750281/Ulteo+Virtual+Desktop
+Running+GNU/Linux+in+Windows.htm

2007 was probably 'the' year that Linux finally made it into almost every OEM
channel. Then came the ultraportables and Microsoft's patent terrorism
(miserable acts), Big Lies, and sheer OOXML corruption.

Recent:

When Dubie met Wubi

,----[ Quote ]
| Loyal readers of this column will remember our four-part series on installing
| one of the more popular distros of Linux, Ubuntu. Now that Ubuntu 8.4 LTS
| (Long-Term Support) has been released, with Firefox 3, you might be curious
| about how to check out and possibly use this upstart OS, but you're reticent
| because of all the nastiness you've heard about partitioning your hard drive,
| which once fell into the realm of Upper Geekdom.
|
| Worry no more. Wubi, a free Ubuntu installer for Windows, handles all that
| folderol. It installs Ubuntu as though it were another application on your
| hard drive, and you can delete it at your leisure. You can then test drive
| Ubuntu and its open-source applications, then switch back to Windows if you
| so desire.
`----

http://www.nashuatelegraph.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080529/BUSINESS/444779100/-1/business

Ulteo Virtual Desktop: Letting Linux Do Windows

,----[ Quote ]
| While Test Center reviewers with Linux knowledge didn't really see the
| usefulness of the application, others with limited familiarity were wowed by
| it. The biggest value of the Ulteo Virtual Desktop is in letting newcomers to
| Linux get acquainted with it in a comfortable, Windows environment. All of
| the included applications are integrated seamlessly, with easy access to the
| Desktop and My Documents folders, as well as network connectivity. Similar to
| the KDE layout, the Ulteo Virtual Desktop's interface is easy to navigate and
| the included array of graphics viewers and editors, multimedia players,
| office-based programs, and utilities are intuitive to those unfamiliar with
| them. Mozilla's FireFox Web browser and ThunderBird mail client are the
| default, as is the Kopete IM client.
|
| Considering that this is not even a version 1 beta, we have high hopes for
| Ulteo Virtual Desktop. It allows Linux novices to dip their toes into the
| water without any fear, and lets Linux pros use their favorite applications
| when they are forced to be in a Windows environment.
`----

http://www.crn.com/software/208400377

Related:

[Installing Linux from Windows] Wubi Review

,----[ Quote ]
| In conclusion, this tool is certainly one of the easiest ways of letting
| people try Ubuntu without removing Windows or having to partition their hard
| drive for a dual-boot.  I have enjoyed this tool, and although it is still in
| beta, it works very well and is very stable.  So, if you are running a
| computer with Windows and want to give Ubuntu a try, then this is the
| solution for you.
`----

http://jon-reagan.blogspot.com/2007/07/wubi-review.html

Wubi [Review]

,----[ Quote ]
| Now you can and you don't even have to worry about destroying your Windows
| installation and the best part of it is that you don?t even have to set up
| a separate partition for it.
|
| [...]
|
| Like I said earlier, if you've been wanting to try out Linux,
| here is your extremely easy option for getting Linux up and
| running very quickly.
`----

http://digitaldiscobash.com/2007/05/16/wubi/

Take Ubuntu for a non-invasive test drive with Wubi

,----[ Quote ]
| Windows only: Wubi is a Windows-based Ubuntu Linux installer that
| lets you run the OS on your Windows XP box--no partitions,
| bootloaders or Live CDs required.
`----

http://lifehacker.com/software/featured-windows-download/take-ubuntu-for-a-non+invasive-test-drive-with-wubi-258936.php
http://tinyurl.com/294xxd

Run Native Linux Applications in Windows Vista - Via Ulteo Virtual Desktop

,----[ Quote ]
| Binaries tailored specifically to the open source Linux operating system can
| coexist on the same desktop with Windows Vista and Windows XP programs via
| Ulteo Virtual Desktop. Essentially, the
| promise of the Ulteo Virtual Desktop is to deliver Linux applications on
| Windows via the Ulteo panel. The virtualized environment will permit end
| users to run native Linux solutions right on the Windows Vista desktop, and
| integration complete down to the level of sharing the Windows Aero graphical
| user interface.
`----

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Run-Native-Linux-Applications-in-Windows-Vista-86390.shtml

Flipping the Linux switch: Switching, literally, with Ulteo Virtual Desktop

,----[ Quote ]
| Like andLinux, Ulteo's Virtual Desktop (often referred to with the rather
| misfortunate name UlteoVD) runs off a coLinux base. There is no
| virtualization software involved. But we'd especially recommend UlteoVD for
| those pondering whether a Linux switch could work for them, for a number of
| reasons.We'd recommend UlteoVD first to people who are currently using or
| could see themselves using their previous services. Ulteo started by offering
| OpenOffice.org in a browser, coupled with syncing services. Nice, for sure.
| They then offered an installable Ulteo disk, which felt a lot like Ubuntu in
| many ways, with the noticeable difference of automatic updates (as in, no
| user interaction) and syncing with the browser based services.
`----

http://www.downloadsquad.com/2008/05/20/flipping-the-linux-switch-switching-literally-with-ulteo-virt/
http://tinyurl.com/46jn4x

Ulteo — My digital life made simple

,----[ Quote ]
| Now, after two years, there is a successive release of the Ulteo
| distribution. The purpose of the Beta1 Ulteo Application System is to feature
| what it can develop into in the nearest future, especially considering the
| Ulteo Online Desktop.
`----

http://polishlinux.org/linux/ulteo/ulteo-my-digital-life-made-simple/

Ulteo Application System Beta 1 - the FOSSwire review

,----[ Quote ]
| Ulteo is no ordinary Linux distribution. It demonstrates incredible
| innovation.
|
| It is clear that in the future, we won’t use computers anything like we do
| now. More and more data will be moved away from specific client devices, like
| the PC, and be put on a server somewhere. It will be networks and
| infrastructure that then connect each client device to the data.
|
| Wherever you are, whatever device you’re using, you’ll be able to access your
| data and keep it fully synchronised with everything else.
|
| Ulteo doesn’t do all this yet, it’s not even close. But Ulteo takes an
| important step towards this goal, and demonstrates how this might be
| possible, perhaps giving a little window into what could happen in the
| future.
|
| It is an extremely promising proof of concept that this just might be able to
| work and I will continue to follow the Ulteo project with keen interest.
`----

http://fosswire.com/2008/03/28/ulteo-application-system-beta-1-the-fosswire-review/

Ulteo Applications System Beta 1 Screenshots

http://www.thecodingstudio.com/opensource/linux/screenshots/index.php?linux_distribution_sm=Ulteo%20Applications%20System%20Beta%201

What Gael Did Next - Ulteo Online Desktop

,----[ Quote ]
| I will admit that I haven’t played with it that much, so this review is a bit
| limited. That said, if you are away from your home machine, your office
| machine or even your home country, you can be working fairly quickly whether
| you carry a laptop or not.
|
| If you are interested, go to the Ulteo homepage and sign up and try it out.
| It’s still in it’s relatively early stages (the software included in the
| desktop is not current) but already you can see that you have much more than
| Google are offering.
`----

http://www.lostaddress.org/index.php/2008/03/22/what-gael-did-next-ulteo-online-desktop/

Ulteo Application System beta1 has been released…

,----[ Quote ]
| Automatic synchronization of documents with the Ulteo Online Desktop,
| automatic upgrading, new “My Digital life” panel, installation in about 3
| minutes, hundreds applications available… That’s what you’ll find in this
| just-released installable version of Ulteo Application System.
`----

http://www.indidea.org/gael/blog/?p=50

Ulteo brings OpenOffice to Web browser

,----[ Quote ]
| People can also exchange documents in Microsoft's Office format or PDF. The
| service also supports the OpenDocument Format standard.
|
| There are already several companies offering online versions of traditional
| desktop applications, including Google, Zoho, and others. Microsoft on Monday
| released Office Live Workspace, which lets people share Office documents on a
| hosted Web server.
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9832336-7.html?tag=newsmap

Use OpenOffice.org online with Ulteo !

,----[ Quote ]
| Register to be one of the 15,000 beta users
`----

http://www.ulteo.com/home/en/news/2007/12/11?autolang=en

Ulteo Declares a Desktop Revolution

,----[ Quote ]