[News] Distributed Computing with GNU/Linux

Crystal Ball Sunday #3: Distributed Computing in the Workplace

,----[ Quote ]
| You may be asking how Linux will fit into this corporate distributed
| computing scenario. Linux, most likely, will be the platform of choice to
| manage the LAN resource cloud. Linux is used for the large compute clusters
| in research laboratories worldwide and has a long history in this area. Linux
| will also most likely be the Desktop platform due to its more efficient use
| of resources even when a window manager like GNOME or KDE is used.

Don't buy any download accelerator

,----[ Quote ]
| In any case, if you didn't know what a download accelerator is, now you know.
| But after the Vista fiasco, plenty of people are moving to Linux, specially
| since there has been a plethora of consumer-friendly distros lately, like the
| popular Ubuntu.
|
| [...]
|
| Downloading OpenOffice in a handful of minutes instead of half an hour and
| saturating your 5Mbit ADSL link? Great. Doing so without having to spend a
| dime. Priceless!.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/05/31/download-accelerator-for-linux

Days ago:

Linux Nightlife Wants You to Come Out and Play

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux not only wants to dominate the Data Center and your Desktop but now it
| wants your unused CPU power as well. Nightlife is a grid-based computing
| effort that is Fedora Linux-specific.

Microsoft underscores the fallacies of Microsoft's distributed computing

,----[ Quote ]
| The fundamental difference between Microsoft and Linux in general is due to
| motivation. Microsoft's was draconian, while Linux was honorable. Microsoft
| was intent on tightening the screws in their system making sure that you have
| rendered unto Microsoft your tax (the price) of their software, while the
| Linux problem was an honest (though very unfortunate) mistake where the
| developers were trying to improve the software, but failed. I don't know how
| you feel, but I take no great comfort in the fact that because of Microsoft's
| greed the full operation of my paid-for copy of Microsoft software is at the
| mercy of a less than perfect vendor on the other end of a less than reliable
| network. I can fix a bug like the xorg bug, but I can't fix a bug like the
| Microsoft bug unless I just replace it with an alternative and remove all
| those negative critical dependencies.
`----

http://blogbeebe.blogspot.com/2007/08/microsoft-underscores-fallacies-of.html

Related: