[News] Backlash Against Windows on Low-cost Laptops, GNU/Linux Wanted

Laptop scheme draws flak

,----[ Quote ]
| Proponents of Linux, an open source operating system too have expressed
| reservations over the motives of the government in bundling Microsoft Windows
| and Office software with the laptops. Linux has grown in popularity over the
| last few years and the number of Linux users is growing at a rapid pace in
| Goa too. Users of this open source operating system have also formed Linux
| users’ groups in Goa that meet regularly to share their knowledge and
| experience with others.
|
| Said Omkar Ainapur, a lecturer who swears by Linux, “It is disheartening to
| note that the Goa government is promoting Microsoft Windows when the latest
| trend is to switch over to an open source software.”
|
| “The open source software, besides being free to use and share, is fully
| downloadable. The latest version of the software Open Office Org 2.4 is fully
| compatible with Miscrosoft’s MS Office and comes packed with all the features
| of MS Office,” Ainapur informed.
|
| While the open source software comes free, the professional version of MS
| Office costs Rs 17,000 and the student/teacher version is pegged at Rs 6,000.
`----

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Goa/Laptop_scheme_draws_flak/articleshow/3147056.cms

Related:

Governments Must Reject Gates' $3 Bid to Addict Next Billion PC Users

,----[ Quote ]
| "Microsoft's strategy of getting developing nations hooked on its
| software was clearly outlined by Bill Gates almost a decade ago," said
| Con Zymaris, CEO of long-standing open source firm Cybersource.
|
| Specifically, Bill Gates, citing China as an example, said:
|
|   "Although about 3 million computers get sold every year in China, but
|   people don't pay for the software," he said. "Someday they will, though.
|   As long as they are going to steal it, we want them to steal ours.
|   They'll get sort of addicted, and then we'll somehow figure out how to
|   collect sometime in the next decade."[1]
`----

http://www.cybersource.com.au/press/gates_set_to_addict_next_billion.html

Microsoft seals its Windows and opens the door to Linux

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/business/story/0,,1956941,00.html