Re: [News] Amazing Progress for Compiz Fusion on GNU/Linux (Videos)

> ____/ Linonut on Thursday 12 June 2008 12:45 : \____
>
>> * Phil Da Lick! peremptorily fired off this memo:

> http://smspillaz.wordpress.com/2008/06/10/compiz-fusion-community-news-for-june-10-2008-physics-docking-everything/
>>>>

>>> If they could get the leaves/snow/bubbles/ect on the desktop window and
>>> behind your actual windows I'd be impressed. As shown however its only
>>> an interesting annoyance/distraction.
>>
>> It sounds like compiz isn't compatible with an X root window.  Is that
>> true?  I've never even tried compiz yet.
>
> I tried it once or twice. There are some specific plugins that increase
> productivity, but you have to adapt and learn how to use them right. Force of
> habit...
>
> A French car maker picked Linux for tens of thousands of desktops because of
> the 3D effects (among other things). They do a lot of modelling.

The cube is excellent for those people who've traditionally used multiple
desktops, as it enables a quick and easy look at what is where, from any
angle, and because of the transparency options and the shrinking options,
you can see eg,. dual-monitor layouts and all windows from all angles.
It makes finding multiple windows truly quick and easy.  It's also,
really, the first time I've seen anything which made gui desktop use
actually easier than console use for such things.

The usage of the cube is so simple that it takes moments to learn.

About the rain & fire, I agree that it doesn't respect eg., the
currently-focused window, or even all windows, so is, in fact, rather
annoying once you've got over the intial 2 seconds of entertainment.

--
| mark at ellandroad dot demon dot co dot uk                           |
| Open platforms prevent vendor lock-in.  Own your Own services!       |